Drumlin looks to buffet-style dining

Big changes are coming to Drumlin Dining Hall.

Photo by Andrew Smith

The dining hall is scheduled to be renovated next June to update the HVAC system, and at that time, the university plans to update its food services as well.

Plans for Drumlin include a new buffet-style setting similar to that of Esker Dining Hall.  UW-Whitewater Dining Services Marketing Director Ann Wick said she is excited for the changes.

“We’ve done a lot of things in the 11 years that I have been here,” Wick said. “I’m the most excited about this. Now that we have this opportunity to start with an empty box, it’s a good time to make a change.”

Once the project is completed, Wick said the dining hall will not look anything like it does now, for one reason in particular.

“The [dining hall] is going to be more broken up through the entire floor space so we can eliminate some of the congestion we see during the key traffic times,” Wick said. “It will be broken up into ‘stations,’ but it won’t be like the different stations you see now.”

Wick also said the menu at Drumlin will contain a higher variety as well.

Construction on the dining hall is slated to begin next June, and continue through the Spring 2013 semester.  The building will be closed to students while it is being renovated.

So far, student reaction has been positive to the planned changes.

Sophomore Luis Carbajal said he is looking forward to the changes, particularly in the menu.

“I think it’s great that students who live in the six-pack won’t have to walk all the way to the other side of campus for the buffet at Esker, especially in the cold,” Carbajal said. “But it would be better if they could do it in the summer when there aren’t as many students on campus.”

Sophomore Jenna Northouse said she is excited for the change, but hopes the dining hall keeps some of its current options available too.

“I like the idea,” Northouse said. “So long as they have as many options available as they do now, I will be happy.”

While renovations will go well into the next school year, Wick made clear the university is taking students on the west of campus into consideration.

“We have alternative options for students on the Drumlin side of campus [while the dining hall is closed],” Wick said.

The current plan for students is the option of signing up for a fixed meal plan that they can use at several restaurants on campus.  Meal plans will be accepted at Uno’s Due Go beginning at 1:30 p.m. and Graham Street Café will allow meal trades from 3-7 p.m.

The Ike Schaffer Commons will accept meal trades from 1-7 p.m.  Finally, Willie’s 360 will begin accepting meal trades from 7 a.m.-10 p.m.  Students will also be given the opportunity to purchase Full or Mega Dining Dollar Plans that will not have restrictions such as time and location restraints like the current meal plans do.  These options are only available to students on the west side of campus.

To follow updates on this project, visit http://www.dineoncampus.com/uww.