Student government fills seven seats

Whitewater Student Government selected seven new officials to office at its first meeting of the semester Monday, including the appointment of sophomore Jordan Holthaus as the new Speaker of the Senate.

Photo by Andrew Smith

Holthaus, who has only been involved in WSG for one semester, was selected to his new position in a 12-8-1 vote.

Being one of the younger members of WSG, Holthaus’s appointment is an indication of the active role he has taken as a Drumlin district senator.

“It shows what hard work can do,” Holthaus said.

As speaker, Holthaus will act as liason between the executive board and the senators. Holthaus is majoring in organizational communication and minoring in marketing and said his ability to guide effective communication between the two branches will make him an adequate executive board member.

Along with Holthaus, six others were appointed to WSG positions. Included in the appointment to three open senate seats were senior Keenan Sumlin as an off-campus district senator, sophomore Jazelynn Goudy as an Esker district senator, and freshman Michael Rajsich as a Drumlin district senator.

Sumlin said his appointment will help him leave a positive impact on his community members.

“I make sure that I leave my mark on things,” Sumlin said. “I like to make a difference in everything that I do.”

Junior Bryce Chinault was appointed as the deputy speaker along with junior Stephanie Abbott who was appointed as parliamentarian. Chinault won with 11 of the 19 total in-house votes. After a tie-breaking second round of voting, Abbott won the parliamentarian seat after a 11 to 10 win over Sumlin. Sophomore Jamie Selck was approved as clerk with a 17-3 decision.

WSG held a new election process with online voting this year, which WSG President Patrick Johnson said voters were receptive to.

“I think in the presidential election they’ll be even more receptive after getting a chance to try it out,” Johnson said. “I think students have elected a great body of students to represent themselves.”

WSG holds weekly meetings at 7 p.m. every Monday night in UC Room 259. Anyone is welcome to attend these meetings.