Music faculty perform in trio benefiting students

UW-Whitewater Professors Myung Hee Chung and Benjamin Whitcomb, along with lecturer Leanne League, are joining forces as a piano trio for another installment of the Music Mosaics concert series at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 7 in the Light Recital Hall.

Lecturer Leanne League, Dr. Myung Hee Chung and Dr. Benjamin Whitcomb will perform in the upcoming Piano Trio concert as part of the Music Mosaics concert series. A portion of the ticket sales will benefit the student scholarship fund. Photo by Daniel Sheldon.

The piano trio includes Chung on piano, League on violin and Whitcomb on cello.

“It’s like an entire orchestra made up of three people,” Whitcomb said.

The trio combines the sustained sounds of the piano and adds the beautiful vibrato of string instruments.

“It’s a unique combination of instruments because the texture can be rich and very clear, so it’s very versatile,” League said.

Trio in E-flat Major, Op. 70 No. 2 by Ludwig van Beethoven will open the show, Adagio, Op. post.148 by Franz Schubert will follow, and Piano Trio No.1 in B, Op. 8 by Johannes Brahms will conclude the concert. The sequence in which the pieces will be played was strategically planned by the trio.

“We are trying to balance the pieces,” Chung said. “We wanted to create a balance between classical and romantic music.”

The faculty said they decide what music to use for the show by talking about pieces they are all interested in playing.

“Brahms is my favorite composer,” League said, “[Piano Trio No. 1 in B, Op. 8] has a huge variety of characters. It has nobility, intensity, sweetness and sadness. It is very rich in the variety of expression.”

The pieces are designed to complement one another.

“Beethoven wrote at least half a dozen piano trios, [Trio in E-flat Major, Op. 70 No. 2] was written at the beginning of his life,” Whitcomb said. “It is very friendly and charming.”

Adagio, Op. post.148 was chosen to be a short, light-hearted intermission for the audience.

Whitcomb said Schubert’s piece is one movement and very slow. It alternates between two beautiful and non-complex tunes.

The trio has been playing together for three years. Chung and Whitcomb have been working together for more than 10 years. League joined the team after the previous violinist left.

“Dr. Chung and Professor League are very fun to play with,” Whitcomb said. “I can see myself playing with them for the rest of my life.”

The trio said students and community members should come to their concert because they want to educate people about classical music.

The audience is encouraged to experience music they’ve never been familiarized with before.

“You make connections to the music, and it makes your life richer,” League said.

Aside from playing in Whitewater, the trio will also take their program on tour to the University of Minnesota.

As always, a portion of the proceeds made from the Music Mosaics concert series will go towards scholarship funds that help UW-Whitewater students involved in the arts.