Restored Student Success Center opens doors today

After a lengthy remodel, the Student Success Center is hosting an open house today to debut the new space.

Student Success Center

The Student Success Center is located in the back of the main floor in the Andersen Library and houses two programs: the honors program and the undergraduate research program, along with a new satellite center.

Honors Program Director Marjorie Rhine said the program had outgrown its old space in Andersen due to increased enrollment and students becoming more “engaged.”

Rhine said Provost Beverly Kopper had a vision to do the remodel and integrate the programs and to add a satellite academic support center.

“We hope this space will create a positive synergy between these students who are engaging in these programs,” Rhine said.

Director of Undergraduate Research Catherine Chan said the idea for the space came from “several rounds of brainstorming.” She said the honors program always had a space, but the undergraduate research program never had an official space.

In terms of the academic support center, the primary center is located in McCutchan Hall, but the needs for their services have increased dramatically, Chan said.

The new satellite center in Andersen Library can be used to host tutorials, workshops, and tutoring sessions.

The space is not just for students in honors and undergraduate research programs, though. Rhine said she hopes all students on campus will use and enjoy the space.

Rhine said the space was made to accommodate all types of student groups and meetings. All the furniture folds and rolls, bean bag chairs are available, there is a blu ray projector to watch movies, a kitchen with a pizza oven and a white board wall.

At 3 p.m. today in the Success Center, there will be an open house to show off the new space. Chan said there will be door prizes and light refreshments available.

“We hope everyone will come and imagine how they could use the space,” Rhine said. “We want to encourage students who are interested in any of these programs to stop over and get more information about it and see that this is a really beautiful place to hang out.”

To reserve the space, email [email protected].