Community looks to yoga for stress relief

Many students and community members in Whitewater look to yoga and meditation as a stress-relieving way to feel good physically and mentally.

Henley

The University Health & Counseling Services and Working for Whitewater’s Wellness both strive to generate an environment enabling students to live healthy lifestyles. One of the ways they facilitate this is by offering yoga classes.

UHCS Counselor Sharon Mueller instructs the yoga class held at noon on Mondays at UHCS, and graduate student Megan Wycklendt teaches the Friday class at Cravath Lakefront Center at 4:45 p.m.

The yoga classes are limited to the first 15 attendees and the class size usually has around ten participants.

UHCS counselor Whitney Henley said she enjoys attending the Monday and Friday yoga classes.

“Yoga is such a wonderful opportunity to take a break and recharge,” Henley said.

“After attending a yoga class, I do feel better physically and mentally.”

Henley also said there is an incredible number of physiological and psychological benefits of doing yoga including improvements in coordination, weight management, balance, stress reduction, memory, focus and concentration.

“Both yoga and meditation help people to connect with their body and mind, which strengthens both,” Henley said.

UW-Whitewater senior Angie Milkie said she feels yoga is a great way to release stress and to gain muscle strength.

“Yoga is great for your mind because it requires you to breathe and focus on that breathing, allowing your worries and anxieties to simply wait a minute,” Milkie said. “It’s a time to relax your brain.”

The yoga classes are free and are offered from noon to 12:45 p.m. Mondays at UHCS room 2023N and from 4:45 to 5:45 p.m. Fridays at Cravath Lakefront Center at 341 S. Fremont St.

Milkie said after fitting yoga into her daily schedule, she leaves feeling one hundred times better and ready to go on with her day peacefully with an ability to focus.

“I get a sense of freedom and accomplishment out of yoga,” Milkie said. “Yoga allows me to set goals and reminds me of what it is to feel good.”

Beginners are welcome to attend these yoga sessions and you are not required to go a certain number of times. Students are requested to bring a yoga mat or towel and to wear comfortable clothes.

To receive information and reminders about the yoga classes, please email [email protected] to be placed on the yoga email list.

“Yoga is a way to escape the real world and focus on you,” Milkie said. “Yoga and meditation are healthy for your body, and your body deserves that attention.”

Photo by Meghan Salov