Chamber of Commerce may soon be established on campus

Whitewater Student Government, which held its first meeting last Monday, will be voting whether or not to establish a Chamber of Commerce on campus at its next meeting.

A local business owner addressed WSG last school year expressing the need for a Chamber of Commerce on campus to assist anyone who owns a business in Whitewater.

WSG President John Jensen said they will try to focus on student’s who own their own businesses.

Jensen

“We pride ourselves on our business department, so this is necessary,” Jensen said.

Jensen said he spent his summer working on the constitution for the organization. Justin Murphy, the business and finance service director, will coordinate and maintain the committee if the vote passes.

According to Jensen, Murphy’s position on WSG was created mostly for the purpose of creating and running a Chamber of Commerce. Jensen and WSG Vice-President Danielle Jordan will also help start the committee.

Murphy

Jensen said he “saw a need” to create a Chamber of Commerce to cater to students on campus as well as local business owners.

Murphy said he was excited to get the committee started and “work out the kinks” in order to create a Chamber of Commerce that benefits student business owners.

WSG also filled six empty seats for multiple committees at its first meeting of the school year.

The students who ran for the seats were asked questions by WSG members and voted into the organization.