WI-JEN hosts swing dance

Good moods, good tunes and baked goods, oh my.

Tonight the Wisconsin Jazz Educators Network, a student organization, will offer far more than a costume party.

At 7:30 p.m. in the University Center, WI-JEN will set up a hopping and bopping swing dance.

WI-JEN has been putting on this fast-paced dance for two years, but this time students are welcome to wear Halloween costumes and contribute to a bake sale.

Every year, the organization gets the best jazz band on campus to play. This year, the Jazz I Ensemble will perform and help those on the dance floor let loose.

Senior Andrew Baldwin is the vice president of WI-JEN and has been involved in the organization since the beginning of the year. Baldwin has only performed at one swing dance, but he said that was enough for him to become hooked.

“As a performer, it was really cool to be able to look out onto the dance floor and tell that people were having a good time and enjoying themselves,” Baldwin said.

The performers also join in on the fun when they aren’t playing.

“It was also really fun to cut a rug when I wasn’t sitting behind a drum set,” Baldwin said. “I just remember this amazing, relaxed atmosphere.”

All students are encouraged to attend, even if they don’t know how to swing dance.

“It’s just a fun way to spend a night,” Baldwin said. “When else in your life will you be able to attend a free dance with a killer live big band?”

Baldwin said one of the reasons WI-JEN puts on the dance is to introduce students to the jazz program at UW-Whitewater.

“This event is a nice way for the music program to reach out to the rest of the campus, and show what we as a program have to offer,” Baldwin said.

While at the swing dance, students interested in jazz music can become a part of WI-JEN.

“If you played in jazz band, or just really like the music, join our org and take part in all the jazz opportunities we dish out,” Baldwin said.