Pi Sigma Epsilon launches Business Week

In the wake of the election hysteria, several students added to the excitement by creating an event to recognize the more than 25 active student organizations on campus. UW-Whitewater offers more than most schools in the country, and now those groups can be honored every November.

This year, Nov. 5 through 8 is Business Week. It’s a week that has been dedicated to celebrating UW-Whitewater’s student business organizations.

Events will run today and tomorrow and are free for students of any major to attend.

Members Bradley Stefanski and Cassandra Hobson of Pi Sigma Epsilon, an undergraduate marketing society, began planning for this event last spring.

They felt the organizations on campus deserved to be recognized for their accomplishments and took the initiative.

Stefanski

Several months later, in collaboration with the university’s business students, nearly a dozen events will be held in Hyland Hall, put on by almost 15 student business organizations.

“We have some great business organizations on this campus,” Stefanski said. “Greeks on campus have Greek Week, so why shouldn’t we have a time to celebrate the organizations that represent UW-Whitewater?”

During the course of the week, the organizations involved will be giving presentations, hosting information sessions, and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday there will be a T-shirt sale to promote breast cancer awareness.

“This is a good chance for students to find an organization that fits them,” Hobson said. “We have been promoting this like crazy and hope that students will come and enjoy the events.”

Stefanski said PSE hopes to have every student business group participate in the future.

“Looking back we should have started planning earlier, but this is huge” Stefanski said. “It’s important that we are able to honor and recognize the achievements of the students.”

PSE oversaw the logistics for Business Week. Hobson said their biggest challenge was communicating with all of the student groups.

“It was tough keeping in constant communication and there were issues with deadlines,” Hobson said. “Hopefully the orgs will see the benefit to this and more will participate next year.”

Hobson

An organization that participated this year, was Mu Kappa Tau, a marketing honors society. MKT hosted an MBA panel discussion, which invited alumni to speak with students about graduate education.

Senior Eric Huml is president of the UW-Whitewater chapter and said he wanted the presentation to help students make informed decisions.

“I’ve been to all kinds of assemblies and events, but never one with grad students just talking to you,” Huml said. “We want students to be informed, and our speakers will explain what it takes at the next level.”

As far as Business Week is concerned, Huml said it was great that PSE took the initiative. He wants students to learn all about his organization, and to leave with options.

“The different organizations are bringing more opportunities to the students, and you can never have too many offerings,” Huml said. “I see this as something that could definitely be successful in the future.”

Kate Dodge graphic.