Men walk in heels to raise awareness

Participants from the Whitewater community, including students on campus, will join together today at 6 p.m. to raise sexual assault awareness with the Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event.

Walk A Mile in Her Shoes is an event where participants, primarily men, walk a mile in high heels in order to stand up against gender violence and sexual assault. The University Health and Counseling Services is teaming up with People Against Domestic and Sexual Abuse of Jefferson County as well as DECA and the Intrafraternity Council on campus to bring this event to campus as part of Sexual Assault Awareness Month.

Holli Zambrowicz, the event’s coordinator, said she hopes to see at least 100 people involved and emphasized the importance of the event.

“It is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and unfortunately, this isn’t really talked about as much as it should be,” Zambrowicz said. “People kind of lack an understanding of what sexual assault is, so [it is] just to bring awareness that it does happen and that there are resources available for survivors of assault.”

Whitney Henley, the wellness coordinator for UHCS, also finds these events important, because they bring attention to prevention.

“Awareness raising about sexual violence issues [is important], but also education about how we can prevent or reduce the number of sexual assaults that occur,” Henley said.

Other events occurring during this month include the past event, Take Back the Night, in addition to the denim drive and Denim Day, in which The Whitewater Police Department also will be participating.

Registration for Walk a Mile in Her Shoes begins at 5 p.m. in the University Center Hamilton Room, an hour before the walk.

Participants also can register online as individuals at bit.ly/Xx85Lz for $15 or as teams of up to eight members at bit.ly/X5Y4SC for $100.

Individuals with questions can email Zambrowicz at [email protected].