Pop rock band makes debut on campus

Florida-native acoustic pop rock band Augustine is on a national college campus tour. Next stop, UW-Whitewater.

The band will perform a free concert at 8 p.m. Thursday at the University Center’s Down Under.

Named after St. Augustine, Fla., the band consists of members Jordan Meredith and Louis Johnson. Both musicians sing and play acoustic guitar, and have been writing music together for about three years.

“Our acoustic music is very mellow,” Johnson said. “Similar to John Mayer and our other electro pop songs. [We] sound like The Postal Service meets Rihanna.”

The group has toured for almost a year, performing for students at different colleges. Living on the road all the time can have both its positives and negatives.

“The best part of being on the road a lot is you get to play every day and enjoy doing something you love doing,” Johnson said.

“I like seeing a lot of new places we normally wouldn’t get the chance to see, and also making new friends,” Meredith said.

But like with any touring band, life on the road can have its draw backs. Both members said that trying to live out of a suitcase for an extended period of time is probably the hardest part of adjusting to their traveling rock star lifestyles.

Augustine takes lots of pride in performing live shows for new fans. They create a laid-back “coffee shop” atmosphere with their smooth melodic guitars and harmonizing vocals.

“Our shows are definitely fun, it’s a mellow good time,” Meredith said.

The band not only writes their own music, but they also record it too.

Augustine has released two EP albums over the last few years.

“It’s a process of learning, teaching yourself how to use the recording computer programs,” Jordan said.

When the pair of musicians aren’t rocking out at venues across the country, Jordan and Louis enjoy hanging out at the beach and riding the waves.