Stay chill, beat the heat

May 7, 2014

Commentary by Samantha Phillips, Staff Writer

Whitewater is a busy town while school is in session. There are plenty of events put on by UW-Whitewater along with the Whitewater community throughout the semester and the events don’t stop even once summer hits. Students staying in Whitewater have plenty of opportunities to enjoy the summer with all the events around town.

One opportunity for students to get involved is UW-Whitewater Grandchildren’s University. The event provides 10 jobs for UW-W students to work as counselors. The program is a two-day workshop adapted from a successful program at UW-Madison. Young children attend the program with their grandma or grandpa and participate in events together.

School of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education Associate Dean Seth Meisel is the faculty coordinator for the event. Meisel said there were about 85 participants last year.

Participants are mostly Whitewater alumni from Minnesota, Illinois and all over Wisconsin.

The program runs from June 27 to 28 on the UW-W campus. During the workshop, the kids choose from eight different majors and create something related to that major.

“It’s really hands-on and gives the kids something they can create and bring home,” Meisel said. “Kids in [arts] metal major would work with welding torches, the second day they would make a video game, or create their own radio spot if they chose that major.”

Registration for Grandchildren’s University is $180 per person, which includes an overnight stay in a Starin Hall suite-style room and four meals. There also is a commuter’s registration option that is $150 per person. Registration can be done in the Continuing Education Services office Mondays through Fridays from 7:45 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. or registration is available online.

Another event that takes place in the community is Whitewater K9 5K/10K Run/Walk on June 8 at Cravath Lake Front Park. The event is hosted by the Whitewater Police Department, and the best part is participants are encouraged to bring their dog along.

UW-W alum Becky Waldmann participated in the 5K last year with her dog Sterling.

“5Ks are great in general, and anyone can participate,” Waldmann said. “You don’t have to be a runner at all. Walking is completely allowed.”

Waldmann heard about the event from a friend who mentioned it on Facebook.

“I looked into it further, and it sounded like something fun,” Waldmann said.

Participating in the event goes toward a good cause, as all the proceeds go toward the Whitewater Police Department for purchases and K9 training.

“There are so many ways that can benefit the community,” Waldman said. “Dogs are great and serve the police well, and it brings the community together to support the police department.”

One of Whitewater’s most popular summer events is the farmer’s market. The market is every Saturday from 8 a.m. until sold out. The farmer’s market offers fresh products such as asparagus, lettuce, peas, radishes, salad greens, zucchini, chicken, eggs, baked goods, bread, honey, soap, herbs and plants. This year the farmer’s market will be in the Winchester True Value Parking lot on West Main Street. It’s a great way to find some fresh food or the perfect gift.

Another great opportunity is Whitewater’s family friendly Fourth of July festival. From July 3 to 5 multiple events happen around Whitewater such as a carnival, a Miss Whitewater Pageant, a car show, a Fourth of July parade, ski shows, a petting zoo, live music and, of course, fireworks. More information can be found at www.ww4th.com.

More information on the K9 5K can be found at www.wwk9run.com.

Even though Whitewater is a college town, there’s still much to do in the summer; take advantage of it!