UW-Whitewater holds career fair

Oct. 1, 2014

By Brad Allen

Career fairs can give students the opportunity to explore internship options as well as meet with potential future employers.

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is hosting its annual Hawk Career Fair from noon to 4 p.m. on Oct. 1 at the Williams Center.

Brian Bredeson, associate director of career and leadership development, said the event is the largest career fair on campus during the course of the year.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to practice networking skills and establish personal connections with employers regarding jobs,” Bredeson said.

Some students may think that the career fair is limited to business majors who are juniors or seniors. However, the Hawk Career Fair is open to everyone.

“It’s open to all majors and all students,” said Allie Vlach, one of the three organizers. “It’s not just a business fair.”

Vlach is in charge of Hawk Jobs and employer outreach.

Events such as the Hawk Career Fair give students the chance to develop job searching skills which are essential after graduation, Vlach said. The event can also helps students to find internships which will help advance them in their career paths.

“It is very much a networking opportunity that can be the first step in the interviewing process, whether that’s today or a year or two from now,” said Frank Lanko, senior business career advisor for Career and Leadership Development.

Over 110 employers will be present at the event.

Many employers from around the area will be attending the event, looking for students to fill positions for internships and jobs.

“There’s plenty of jobs posted online, be it through Hawk Jobs or outside sources, but to talk to these employers face to face is huge,” Lanko said.