Faculty show-off artistic talents

Teachers of art display their own creations

By Signe Trewyn

It’s a known fact that UW-Whitewater promotes a large array of art.

The Center of the Arts is a popular place to view art and now the UW-W faculty is showcasing their talents.

Crossman Gallery Director Michael Flanagan is a professor and learning community advisor. He began working on galleries in 1980 and started at UW-W in 1995.

“My favorite part, just in general of the gallery, is organizing the exhibits and looking around to see what fine art is out there,” Flanagan said. “Having the receptions and all the shows and people come.”

The exhibit features several works, along with a large black and white painting created by Media Arts Specialist Dale Kaminski.

Invitation letters were written to faculty members in order to submit their work, which is self-selected.

“We have a professional group of faculty and staff,” Flanagan said. “People who come and see the show see the quality of the work the staff is doing on their own. The work is reflected in the staff’s teaching. You just know that the people who made that will be good at photography.”

Flanagan is a World of the Arts professor who expects students to take what they learn from class and use it in the gallery.

“I hope to educate students who come to the show,” Flanagan said. “They get to see the work of art firsthand. It is different from seeing it on a computer screen.”

Flanagan said the gallery presently has four curated art exhibits. The previous show was a contemporary art exhibit from China. He said there also  must be a thematic show as well where faculty can participate.

Professor and artist Bethann Moran submitted several pieces to the show.

Moran said she has been interested in art since she was a toddler. Later in life, she attended graduate school for fine art. Moran also said she is interested in the shallow depth of field, meaning she constantly looks at her subject while painting.

“Ever since I could paint and draw, my favorite part of art was being in nature; being able to convey the struggle [in nature] and something in a two dimensional way,” Moran said.

The current show features 60 pieces. With the juried student show, there can be 150 pieces.

“I talked to a lot of students, they tell you what they really think,” Moran said. “I feel great, sometimes the images surprise me, and I think ‘did I really paint that?’”

The reception was held on Jan. 22, and light refreshments were served along with an opportunity for guests and students to lead self-guided tours of the exhibit. Guests also had an opportunity to speak with the artists about their work in the gallery.

The Department of Art and Design Faculty Exhibition runs from Jan. 22 through Feb. 21 in the Crossman Gallery. Gallery hours are Monday to Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday 6 p.m. to 8 p.m and Saturday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

“There is a sense of intimacy,” Moran said. “People tend to pass by the art, and there is the thrill of looking and seeing things for what they are.”