Computer graphics explored

Feb. 18, 2015

By Signe Trewyn

The Colloquium on Computer Graphics, titled “From la Lune to Pandora,” aims to liven up the history of computer graphics with a presentation by an Academy Award winner.

The event is held by the Department of Computer Science for students interested in both filmmaking and computer graphics.

The computer graphics colloquium will be held 12:30 to 1:30 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 20 in the Timmerman Auditorium in Hyland Hall.

Guest speaker Perry Kivolowitz from UW-Madison is an Academy Award winner for Scientific and Technical Achievement and will speak to students about compositing as a fundamental function in computer graphics.

“I hope students find info about the history of filmmaking, visual effects and everyone in the audience would enjoy,” Kivolowitz said.

Kivolowitz spent 23 years in filmmaking and has been teaching for 30 years. He also has earned recognition for his work in television.

With all his success and experience, Kivolowitz said he has advice to offer and stories to share.

“There will be information of interest in computer science, and there should be some interesting stories,” Kivolowitz said.

Kivolowitz said this is his first time presenting at UW-Whitewater.

As he presents, he wants people to experience history and appreciation for film on a more complex level, Kivolowitz said.

Hien Nguyen is a computer sciences department faculty member, and is responsible for bringing Kivolowitz to campus.

“I was very excited to meet Kivolowitz,” Nguyen said. “This colloquium series is fortunate to have Kilvolowitz come.”

While Nguyen said it is difficult to find faculty in computer science, he was glad the filmmaker accepted the invitation to help students who are majoring in computer science.

Nguyen said he hopes the program opens UW-W students’ eyes to the possibilities of computer graphics.

“What I want people to take away from the event is the creativity in computer science and for the program to be reachable for students who are considering a major in computer science,” Nguyen said.