College changes name to reflect mission

For the second time in 42 years, the College of Education has officially changed its name and will now be known as the College of Education and Professional Studies.

Heyning

The name has been changed to better reflect all of the programs offered within the college.

“Many people didn’t know, and perhaps still do not know that we have many programs in the college that are not directly related to teacher education and schools,” Dean of the College of Education and Professional Studies Katy Heyning said.

In addition to teacher education, other programs in the college include occupational and environmental safety and health, marriage, family and community counseling, communication sciences and disorders, health, human performance and recreation, and leadership, military science and aerospace studies.

In 1969, what was previously known as the School of Education was renamed the College of Education. UW-Whitewater started as a teacher-training school in 1868, and was founded as Whitewater Normal School.

UW-Whitewater has always had teacher education, Heyning said. Currently, about 3,000 students are enrolled in the College of Education and Professional Studies. During the 2008-09 school year, the college recommended 464 students for professional education licenses, Heyning said.

“I think this is a positive change,” education major Ashley Petri said. “This will allow students to think of the college as more than just education.”

Teacher education remains the largest undergraduate major in the College of Education and Professional Studies.

“Many people think of UW-Whitewater and know our business and education programs,” Heyning said. “I think this is because we are very good at what we do and we have been good for a very long time.”

Faculty and staff members of the college strategically planned the name change through a meeting last January. The name of the college had come up as an area of concern. After discussing the matter throughout spring and summer, the new name became official last fall.

The new name will change letterheads, websites and everything else with the college’s name on it. These changes will take place gradually. It is more economical than doing everything all at once, Heyning said.