Comedian allows students to take break from midterms

Hannah Schultz, Staff Writer

Midterm exams are creeping up on UW-Whitewater students, so what better way to relieve some studying stress than a comedy act? UW-Whitewater hosted Andrew Sleighter, comedian, on Thursday, Oct. 12 at 7:30 p.m. in the University Center’s Down Under.

Sleighter is a stand-up comedian, who has appeared on many television shows. The most well-known appearances on Last Comic Standing and Conan, along with being a regular on MTV’s Money From Strangers.

“I recognized him from Last Comic Standing,” says Jacob Schulz, junior. “He was pretty good on the show, so I thought I would check him out.”

Sleighter’s performance at the UC Down Under had laughs reverberating off the walls. His ability to relate to college students is what made his performance so comical. Audience participation added to the show.

“Members of the crowd would just shout stuff out at Andrew, and he would take that and run with it,” says Schulz. “It was so cool.”

“He was so funny,” says Jeremy Foltz, freshman. “I’ve never seen a comedian in person, so I was skeptical, but I was laughing so hard.”

UC Entertainment is a great way for students to engage in social programs at a low cost. The comedy act was free to students and otherwise, making it the perfect event for time spent away from the books.

“I’ve been kind of nervous about midterms,” says Foltz. “This is my first year, so I don’t know what to expect. I came down to the comedy show to get away for a little while. It turned out to be a great idea.”

Students can look forward to more UC Entertainment nights in the upcoming weeks, and can look on the university website for a schedule of future events.