University organizations give back

University organizations give back

photo by Julia Graff / Assistant Photo Editor

Julia Graff

Julia Graff

Julia Graff

Katelyn Black, Lifestyle Editor

With the season of giving in full swing, some organizations found it to be the perfect opportunity to give back.

For DECA, that meant collecting toys for those less fortunate.

“We love to help those in need and positively impact the community, especially during the holiday season,” said William Rudd, the vice president of community involvement for the on-campus chapter of DECA. “We’re collecting all sorts of things to donate to the Ronald McDonald house in Milwaukee to help kids in that area.”

Though the DECA sponsored event is called a toy drive, Rudd wants those looking to donate to know that the drive isn’t just meant for toys.

“We’re collecting a variety of items, including everyday items like toothbrushes and toothpaste, deodorant and shampoo, on top of any toys for babies to young adults,” Rudd said. “Things like puzzles, hats, mittens and board games are also on our wish list.”

Mindy Parker, an Academic Department associate for the College of Business and Economics and one of the heads of the toy drive itself, commented that her incentive was her own love of the holiday. “We just want to see kids who don’t normally get a Christmas have that perfect holiday.” 

On top of the toy drive, the RHA is giving back as well, all while truly zeroing in on the philanthropic aspect.

“I believe that our collection was a good push to have residence hall students be aware of our commitment to philanthropy,” said Ethan Meudt, the national communications coordinator for the RHA.

The philanthropy drive is locally run by the RHA, but it truly is not limited only to the students here at Whitewater. Instead, the event extends all the way to the regional level and is initiated by the Great Lakes Affiliate of College and University Residence Halls organization. 

“This entire event is centered around the GLACURH’s regional philanthropy initiative,” said Meudt. “Everything donated, from shampoo to pop tabs, will go to the Ronald McDonald House.”

In the end, it is truly all about the holiday spirit and giving to those who might need a little help this time of year.

About the Photographer