Faculty, staff display creative achievements

photos courtesy of Michael Flanagan Director of Crossman Gallery

Brenda Echeverria, Arts & Rec Editor

UW-Whitewater faculty and staff will be given the opportunity to reveal scholarly research and other creative achievements in The Crossman Gallery. A reception will be held Jan. 29, from 3 to 4:30 p.m. making it the 31st annual recognition reception for the Scholarship & Creative Achievement Exhibition.

The exhibit features examples of peer reviewed publications and artworks created by instructors from across all colleges and departments at UW-Whitewater, and this year will include submissions from the Rock County campus as well.

“It’s a unified way to show all the things faculty and staff have accomplished in the past year,” said Director of the Crossman Gallery, Michael Flanagan.

The Chancellor’s Quartet is scheduled to perform during the reception while attendees of the exhibit are encouraged to engage with the various works on display and ask questions.

Flanagan, who is also a World of the Arts instructor, said he always encourages his students to attend the exhibit because he believes it is a good opportunity to see new things and network.

“It’s an opportunity for students to see what their instructors have been doing professionally outside of the classroom,” Flanagan said.

Flanagan said there is a lot of research that is always happening on campus that sometimes goes unrecognized by people outside of its home department. He called this exhibit an ‘eye-opener’ for him.

“I enjoy seeing things that I didn’t know about, and it could be anything. I pretty much know what people are doing in the art department, but to see what other great things are being done in other departments is a great opportunity,” said Flanagan.

Past exhibits have included anything ranging from artwork, conference presentations, scholarly articles, dance DVDs, music, book reviews, novels, poetry and grants.

Barbara Bren, who is one of the exhibits organizers, said she always hopes the exhibit inspires people and encourages them to collaborate with each other.

“You never really see what everyone is doing in one place, it’s kind of invisible, except for in an event like this.”