Campus celebrates black history

UW-W takes step toward cultural education during Black History month

Olivia Storey, Assistant News Editor

The University Center hosted the Black History Month program on Wednesday Feb. 20 that showcased black culture and diversity throughout campus. The event consisted of many different presentations that displayed the importance of learning about black history and culture and why it’s so important to campus as a whole.

“The history of black African Americans should be celebrated everyday, but today we come together to celebrate, remember and cherish what it means to be black,” said Cornealious Cook, who kicked off the event.

Following Cook’s welcome statement, some music students from the College of Arts and Communication performed “Lift Every Voice and Sing”, the Black National Anthem.

“One of the things we have to do as a university is make sure that we are educating all of the members of our campus community about all of the members of our community,” said Interim Chancellor Cheryl Green, who also gave a speech in the middle of the event. “That means that Black History Month should be highlighted as well as all of the appreciation months.”

Throughout the program, many attendees and presenters discussed the importance of educating and showcasing black history and black culture.

“What we should be doing is celebrating and honoring all of these groups and their contributions to American society,” Green said. “This event is the first step in that direction, and we should all know that when we learn about each other’s history, we know more about human history.”

Following Green’s speech at the event, the men of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. gave a presentation about Black History Month and its significance.

Sherri Charleston was this year’s guest speaker. She directs the Office of Equity and Diversity and the Diversity and Climate Researchers with DDEEA at UW-Madison.

“Continuing these types of events is a need and a value for this campus,” Green said. “Dr. Kenny Yarbrough has more events like this planned.”

Overall, the program assisted in educating those who attended about the importance and need for learning about black culture, history, and impact to society. Those who attended left with a great amount of knowledge about their peers and fellow students.

“I appreciate the fact that we have so many people of color in administrative positions on campus,” said Black Student Union (BSU) member Abraham Alvarez. “I really appreciate the effort that our school is taking to promote diversity and diverse events.”

Although there are no more Black History Month events scheduled this month, everyone can still celebrate in their own way and educate themselves and others on black culture and history.