Delta Omicron Draws Crowd

Carter Secor

Students Traci Pinzon (left) and Becca Weber (right) warm up before the recital.

Carter Secor, Staff Reporter

On Thursday Oct. 17, students and parents filed into Light Recital Hall inside the Greenhill Center of the Arts at UW-Whitewater to hear their friends and family perform pieces for the biannual Delta Omicron student recital.

“Delta Omicron is a professional co-ed music fraternity,” said Angela Jacoby, President of Delta Omicron and a music student at UW-W. “It’s comprised of music majors and minors.”

The recital, which was organized by the fraternity, is held every semester and is used as a way to get the message out about Delta Omicron and what they do.

“Our organization is to promote music throughout the campus with musicians and for musicians,” said Traci Pinzon, a music student at UW-W a Publicity Director of Delta Omicron. “This event helps get music out there for the other people [around campus].”

“It also helps get our name out there,” Said Becca Weber a member of the fraternity and music student at Whitewater. “Not a lot of people are familiar with our music fraternity, so one of our core values is to foster musicianship and it [the recital] not only helps us do that but also to reach out to other musicians on campus.”

The recital featured six performances by Delta Omicron. The performances ranged from vocal pieces to flute duets to poems accompanied by piano, as well as other instrumentations.

“It went well,” said Jacoby. “ I think everyone really enjoyed it and we all had fun.”

The audience seemed to enjoy their time at the recital.

“It was fun,” said Jace Banasik a music student at Whitewater, who came to support the organization. “A lot of the acts were really well done and they did an awesome job with everything.”

The recital was also accompanied by a bake sale run by Delta Omicron. Many members supplied baked goods like cookies, brownies and even iced coffee.

“The bake sale went well,” said Jacoby. “ It’s for fundraising. We’re a non-profit and do everything through donations, fundraising and member fees.”

This semester has been big for the fraternity as this year was one of the first in a long time where the organization participated in homecoming week for UW-Whitewater.

“It was very exciting,” said Weber. “We haven’t competed in homecoming in at least ten plus years as an organization and we had been talking about it for years but never really got it in motion. So this year we went full blown and took second place in the small organization cup and won best in show at the talent show.”

At the end of the recital after all the acts were finished, the organization featured their winning routine from the talent show.