Young Auditorium hosts family-friendly shows

Danielle Klais, Arts & Rec Editor

The Young Auditorium begins its lineup this spring semester with three family-friendly shows, starting at the end of January.

Attendees can show off their singing skills at the Young Auditorium as the Big Top presents the sing-along version of The Greatest Showman on Saturday, Jan. 25th at 3:00 p.m. The Young Auditorium will see a circus-style makeover for this event, and starting at 1:00 p.m. children will get to experience circus activities with performers from the Wild Rumpus Circus. Some of these activities include an aerial rig, tight wire and juggling stations. The Wild Rumpus Circus will also bring circus-style snacks and roaming entertainers.

“I’m excited for this sing-along because The Greatest Showman is one of my favorite musicals, and going to a circus-themed show where I get to sing along to my favorite musical seems super fun,” says UW-W sophomore, Megan Polivka.

The story of Cinderella is a classic fairy tale that excites children all around the world. This age-old fairytale will be brought to the Young Auditorium by the Florentine Opera Company in the form of a children’s opera on Sunday, Jan. 26 at 3 p.m. To make the experience more interactive, the children will join the actors on the stage during the performance.

“The mission of the Florentine Opera Company Education department is to make opera more inviting and accessible to communities in Milwaukee and throughout the state of Wisconsin,” says Young Auditorium Marketing Specialist, Aaron Wesolowski.

Romeo and Juliet is known for being performed as a play, but this time, it will come to Whitewater as a ballet performed by the Russian National Ballet on Wednesday, Jan. 29 at 7:30 p.m. This production is special because the dancers will perform two full length, one act stories. The second story featured will be the classic tale of Carmen. Under the Soviet hierarchy, the ballet Carmen was banned because it was thought to dishonor the original opera. Today, however, it’s considered one of the finest ballets

“We strive to develop programs that provide opportunities for individuals to experience and be inspired by the creative expression of others,” says the Young Auditorium Director, Shannon Dozoryst.

The Young Auditorium hosts many events for families, citizens and students alike. Tickets for any events in the Young Auditorium can be bought online or in the Greenhill Center of the Arts Box Office either in person or over the phone.