Get involved with student orgs

Student organizations are offered for students interested in almost anything.

The Student Art Association is a non-academic organization, which “aims to expose students to the world of visual arts through student-run events,” senior SAA Vice President Sara Hoag said.

SAA is open to all students who have a passion for visual arts. The organization provides workshops, portfolio preparation advice and student-run art critiques.

In the critiques, students give their opinions on each other’s work, whether it is finished or not. This allows them to see other people’s work and get inspired for future works of their own.

“This gives members a chance to improve their artwork and to talk about the artwork of others in an out-of-classroom setting,” Hoag said.

Members of SAA also support visiting artists and faculty lectures throughout the semester. This opportunity allows students to work with and learn about professional artists and helps them prepare for a future in visual arts.

At this time, the meeting time and location hasn’t been decided, but to become a member or to get more information, email [email protected].

For students interested in dance, the student organization The Dance Company is the place to go.

Besides weekly meetings, the Dance Company also hosts dance workshops. The workshops focus on a type of dance, such as hip-hop, ballet, tap, jazz, contemporary, etc.

The organization of about 45 members has fundraising events throughout the year. Events such as car washes, bake sales and dance clinics benefit the Special Olympics of Wisconsin, junior Dance Company President Whitney Geallis said.

At the end of the school year, The Dance Company puts on a concert run solely by the members. There are student choreographers, sound engineers, lighting technicians, art directors, stage managers, etc., and everyone is encouraged to be involved in any way they can.

“A couple of them [members] create large works for anyone [who] wants to be in the piece,” Dance Company Adviser Professor Barbara Grubel said. “There [are] always pieces there [in the concert] where anyone can participate if you’re a member of Dance Company.”

Geallis said members include students who have danced for over 10 years and some who have never taken a dance class.

The Dance Company has weekly meetings from 7-8 p.m. each Wednesday in the Kachel Center located in the Young Auditorium.

“Dance is known in a community for bringing a community together,” Grubel said. “And here you have majors from all over and they come together for one common goal – let’s dance.”

Students who are looking to major in music education have a great opportunity at Whitewater. The University has a collegiate level of Music Educators National Conference (MENC).

The college level of MENCE is CMENC (Collegiate Music Educators National Conference). This is a student organization universities can choose to have that allows music education students to make lifetime connections, spread music advocacy and prepare for future goals in music.

Junior UW-Whitewater CMENC President Justin Kamp said last year the organization had roughly 50 members. Each February, the members host “Sounds ‘N Visions.”

This Saturday morning workshop is directed towards second to fifth-graders in the area.

“Elementary students come here and we teach a sort of general concepts music class,” Kamp said. “It is completely run by the members and 55 kids came last year.”

Members of CMENC also stage manage for student and faculty recitals and have various other volunteer opportunities.

To join CMENC, music students need to attend the first “convo” meeting – which all music students must sign up for–the first Friday of classes.

For more information on these student organizations, or the other organizations on campus, visit uww.edu/join.