Deck the House competition lights up the season

A+Jefferson+County+house+celebrates+the+season+by+participating+in+the+Deck+the+House+competition+that+runs+through+Dec.+20.+

Karley Garcia

A Jefferson County house celebrates the season by participating in the Deck the House competition that runs through Dec. 20.

Andrew Abler, Journalist

As the holiday season rolls around once again, people in the Whitewater area are getting into the holiday spirit, decorating their houses with festive lights, ornaments, and snowmen alike. And, thanks to the Whitewater Department of Parks and Recreation, people have the opportunity to show off what they’ve got in the Deck the House Christmas decoration contest. Now, community members can walk around the area and check out entrant’s setups, and vote online for their favorite.

“It’s a celebration for celebration’s sake,” said Michelle Dujardin, program coordinator and special event coordinator for the City of Whitewater. “There are prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, but for the most part it’s just a fun way for people to show off their festive cheer.”

Tour around Whitewater and Jefferson County to find festive holiday decorations and vote for your top three favorite homes in the area. Voting ends Dec. 20, and the top three homes in each area will be announced on Dec. 21. (Karley Garcia)

According to Dujardin, as of event registration closing on Dec. 6, there are currently 17 entrants for the city of Whitewater. There’s no requirements to fulfill, no benchmarks or limitations to follow. It’s just people posting their houses to spread some holiday cheer. Decorations can range from a few hanging lights and blow-up snowmen to full-fledged lightshow-looking decorations. All are accepted and appreciated, because as Dujardin mentioned, this isn’t about winning. This is about bringing the community together and just having some good, clean fun.

“I just thought it was cool to have a competition,” Whitewater community member Brandon Fischer said, “I always drive past on my way to work, and it’s always fun to see what people come up with.”

Many other residents share Fischer’s sentiment, and people throughout the community are joining in and voting on their favorite decked-out house. However, there’s no pressure to vote. Many other people around town prefer to just walk about and see what kind of unique and interesting things people do to show their holiday spirit.

Deck the House is a holiday light decorating contest in Jefferson County. The surrounding areas participating in the contest are Fort Atkinson, Jefferson, Cambridge, Watertown, Whitewater and Johnson Creek. (Karley Garcia)

“I like to go for walks to just de-stress a little bit, and seeing all these houses decorated with such cheer – it’s almost therapeutic,” UW-Whitewater sophomore Matthew Quist said. “I think adding a competitive aspect has given more incentive for people to step their game up. They all look so good this year.” 

The final deadline for voting is Dec. 20, and the results should be revealed as early as Dec. 21. The grand prize is a $50 chamber check, redeemable at any participating member business of the Whitewater Chamber of Commerce. Prizes for 2nd and 3rd place are $25 and $15 chamber checks. Visit the Deck the House Facebook page for a virtual map of participating houses and to vote for which displays light up your life this holiday season.