Jacobs is all about the track team

Morgan Guenther

Junior Kylie Jacobs runs hard at the start of the seventh heat of the women’s four hundred meter dash during the “Squig” Converse Invitational in Whitewater on Jan. 29, 2022.

Parker Olsen, Sports Editor

Kylie Jacobs is a captain and a senior, making her one of the major leaders on the UW-Whitewater women’s track and field team. Jacobs, a journalism major, is from Watertown, WI where she was a five time conference champion and a three time state qualifier. 

Jacobs runs long sprints for the Warhawks and as a competitor she has high goals for herself. Her biggest goals, however, revolve around her teammates and creating an environment that everyone feels comfortable in and excited to be a part of.

Q: When did you start doing track?

A: The official answer is that I have been doing track since sixth grade, so since 2012. But I have been running basically my entire life. I have been in this sport for a very long time. 

Q: When and how did you decide you wanted to compete in college?

A: It was always a goal of mine throughout high school. It just didn’t really set in until I got the text from our coach Ireland, he is the one that first texted me and it just kind of sealed the deal. Like ‘oh this could actually happen, I can actually compete in college.’ So it has been a lot of fun.

Q: Why did you decide on coming to Whitewater?

A: Honestly both the coaches, the facility, the people I got to meet. Everything about it was so open and inviting. I just love the atmosphere here, like as you can see it has killer energy here. Everything about here just screamed home so I chose here.

Q: How do you find ways to lead this team?

A: As a captain, honestly just being there for all the girls and making sure that everyone feels like they belong and no one feels left out. I guess another way I try to be an active leader is to try to get people to just bring energy for the people that are competing. Everyone wants to be cheered for, everyone wants to be part of that moment. It is so cool to be able to be there for everyone and make sure that they know that they belong and that they are a part of the team.

Q: What are your big goals for this season?

A: Honestly as a senior I would love to get to nationals, qualify for nationals in the 400. But I also think a goal of mine is just to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to feel like they belong on this team and are part of the family and the atmosphere we create here.

Jacob has high hopes and is filled with excitement for what her and her teammates can do. The track and field team came in third place, out of ten, in their opening meet of the season. They finished 8th out of 15 teams at the “Squig” Converse Invitational competition hosted in the Williams Center on Friday Jan 28 and Saturday Jan 29.

Long sprinter Kylie Jacobs prepares to start her heat of the women’s four hundred meter dash at the “Squig” Converse Invitational in Whitewater on Jan. 29, 2022. (Morgan Guenther)