Four students persue musical dreams

Four students with different majors and different reasons for picking up their respective instruments all have one thing in common: dedication for their crafts.

Senior Justin Kamp will perform at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 22 in the Light Recital Hall

Because of this dedication, practice and performance takes up almost every aspect of their lives.

Flutist Johnathan Bernhardt, bassoonist Justin Kamp and French horn players Abby Martin and Jenny Jones wouldn’t be at it if they didn’t have the passion and love for music.

On Oct. 22 and 25, Bernhardt, Kamp, Martin and Jones will be performing recitals.

Bernhardt, a flute performance major, started playing the flute from second grade after listening to a woman at his church.

“I really liked it, so I told my grandma that I wanted to learn how to play the flute so I could play at church like she did one day,” Bernhardt said.

Bernhardt plans on going to grad school right after graduation for flute performance and ultimately wants to be a flute professor and performer.

Kamp is a music education and music instrumental major. In sixth grade, he wanted “the instrument that made annoying sounds without a mouthpiece,” thinking it was the oboe, as oboe reeds can be played without a mouthpiece. A misunderstanding with his middle school band director gave him the bassoon, since bassoon reeds also can be played without a mouthpiece.

His most memorable performance was his own recital as a sophomore, since sophomores normally don’t perform solo recitals.

Kamp is the president of the Collegiate National Association for Music Education and looks to teach instrumental or general music education at the middle school level.

Martin, also a music education major, comes from a family of musicians. Inspired by her father, a professional horn player, she chose the French horn.

“I was influenced by hearing my dad play and when it came time to pick a band instrument, I got a good sound out of it, I fell in love with it,” Martin said.

Martin plans on going to graduate school for performance and wants to become a music professor and performer.

Jones is also a music education major. She picked up the French horn in fourth grade because it “looked cool.”

“My mom took me to a bunch concerts and we looked at all the instruments and I thought it looked cool,” Jones said. “It’s all curly and looks fun.”

Jones would like to teach general music education and middle school band.

Each of them wants the audience to walk away from their performances happy and inspired.

Martin and Jones want the audience to recognize just how much work went into their recitals. Bernhardt and Kamp will be performing at 3 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 22, respectively.

Martin and Jones will be performing a joint recital at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 25.

All performances are in the Light Recital Hall in the Center of the Arts. Admission is free.