Succulent Workshop brings large crowd

(photo credit: UW-Whitewater Sustainability)
Sustainability Director Wes Enterline helps students to hand out succulents for the UC Live collaboration with UWW-Sustainability, Tuesday evening, April 9, 2024.

What UC Live event causes a line of over 50 people to form half an hour before it starts? The Succulent Workshop, of course!

This year is the second installment of UC Live’s Succulent Workshop. The event got a lot of attention last year, which prompted the number of plants available to rise to 250 from last year’s 150.

“We got here at 6:15 and there were already people here,” said student Nate Burroughs, who went last year and anticipated the large crowd.

The event, which was on April 9 at 7 p.m. in the Hamilton Room of the UC, ended with only a few succulents left, as the total number of students was over 240.

Students were able to choose from paint pens or mosaic tiles to decorate their pots. The succulents that were available were the chandelier plant, or Kalanchoe delagoensis, and the alligator plant, or Kalanchoe daigremontiana.

As the names may suggest, these plants are very similar to each other. Both of these succulents, which are native to Madagascar, grow small buds with roots attached to them.

These then fall off of the plant and grow where they lie. This effect earns both plants the nickname “mother of millions.”

“As college students, we have other things to worry about besides plants, so a succulent is perfect since it’s low maintenance,” said UC Live worker Julissa Donald. Donald also suggested that the event will likely continue in the years to come due to the popularity of it so far.

UC Live partnered up with UWW’s Sustainability Office for this event as part of their Earth Month celebration. Here is what their calendar of events looks like!

On April 1, the Sustainability Office picked up trash around campus. Students were given trash bags and gloves to use as they took part in the event.

April 8 was their Clothing Swap in the Hamilton Room. A popular event for the organization, students were encouraged to bring their old clothes and swap them out for other used clothing.

Looking forward, there will be a Guide to Going Green on April 18 at 6 p.m. This event partners with Students Allied for a Green Earth (SAGE) and features a chance to make homemade dryer balls, laundry detergent, and cleaning solution.

There will be a stream monitoring session on April 19th at 10 a.m. Partnering with Water Action Volunteers (WAV), the event entails measuring different variables of local bodies of water to monitor their health.

On April 22 at 3 p.m., students can meet in Upham Greenhouse for the Recycled Terrarium Workshop. Students are able to bring in their own containers such as jars, cans, and cartons to use for planting.

On April 23 at 3:30 p.m., the club will partner with the Walworth/Jefferson Chapter of the Ice Age Trail Alliance to hike the Ice Age Trail.

Another succulent opportunity will take place on April 25 at 5:15 p.m. The event, titled Plant Diversity in Latin American Countries, will join Latinos Unidos and offer a presentation as well as pot painting.

Make a Difference Day will be on April 26 at 9 a.m. This is a volunteer event that is aimed to prepare beds and plant seeds for the upcoming growing season.

To round out the month, there will be a tree planting on April 26 at 1 p.m. for Arbor Day. 

To learn more about these events and how to sign up, click here.