UW-Whitewater recognizes, honors community veterans

UW-Whitewater is recognizing veterans with numerous events in upcoming weeks in honor of Veteran’s Day.

Photo by Andrew Smith

This Fiskum Art Gallery is displaying the “Rise of the Fallen: Spirit Box Veterans Exhibit,” through Nov. 14. Faculty member Andre Ferrella designed the concept for the art gallery.
“The idea was picked up by the Wisconsin Veterans Museum as an ongoing memorial to all the Wisconsin soldiers who have given their lives since 9/11,” Elizabeth Watson, chair of the UW-Whitewater Veterans Committee,  said.
The Intergenerational Reflection of Military Service Panel held Tuesday, included a group of five Wisconsin veterans sharing experiences and stories from World War II through Operation Dawn. Students were encouraged to interact and ask questions.
“This event helps understand how war has changed and what it is like to be a veteran and to learn about the different experiences from these men and women who have served our country,” Watson said.
The Remberance Day: National Roll Call event will be held Nov. 11 to pay respect for the more than 6,000  veterans who have lost their lives serving in Iraq and Afghanistan. Volunteers from the university and community will read the names of the causalities from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
Watson said there is a deeper meaning to the events than just paying recognition towards veterans.
“It’s more about recognizing the diversity that veterans contribute to our campus and community. These are individuals that have unique life experiences that a majority of the general population will never have,” Watson said.
UW-Whitewater is offering several free events for community veterans. Saturday’s football game against UW-La Crosse is free for veterans and the halftime show will honor veterans in attendance.  Free pool and bowling will be offered in the University Center Nov. 7 -11 to veterans and service members.
Some students, such as seniors Renee Richardson and Dan Kinzler, said they feel veterans mean a lot to UW-Whitewater students and have a strong impact on the community.
“Veterans are the ultimate sacrifice, it takes a certain kind of person with courage and bravery to do what they do for our country,” Richardson said.
Watson said as a daughter, granddaughter, niece, and cousin of veterans she loves working with student veterans.
“Being the director of students with disabilities, we work with a lot of students who have come back from Operation Freedom and it is a privilege and honor to be able to work with a number of these students,” Watson said.