UW-W DECA to host regional competition

UW-Whitewater’s collegiate DECA chapter is excited to host their first Southern Regional Competition this Friday, DECA President Brandon Narveson said.

The organization began on campus three years ago .

“I think it will be a great experience for our chapter as well as for our university as a whole,” Narveson said.

The competition, which will take place in Hyland Hall, is the first of three major competitions DECA competes in each year.

DECA was started for students interested in the business profession. The organization gives its members business scenarios to compete in each category.

UW-Whitewater DECA will compete against other state colleges on various business levels.

“It’s been a growing opportunity for us,” Vice President of Event Coordination Kyria Smith said. “We’re really proud.”

Members will compete in either marketing management or sales management case studies.

In both the national and state competitions, students are able to choose from either a case study or a prepared event. A prepared event allows them to give a presentation before the competition.

Participants have 30 minutes to analyze their case and then prepare a 10-minute presentation, Narveson said.

The members competing are also required to take a test in one of three categories: general marketing, financial services or hospitality.

During the regional competition, DECA members will have the chance to listen to multiple speakers, one being Tyler Salisbury, the founder of NoMoreDorms.com.

Finally, students will move to the Hamilton Room in the U.C. to receive awards.

“This regional competition will not only be a great way for our Whitewater DECA Chapter to get its name out to other Whitewater students and students in the southern region of Wisconsin, but will also promote UW-Whitewater as a whole,” Narveson said. “Whitewater has arguably the best business school in the state and with DECA being about business, it’s the perfect match.”

For more information on DECA, visit uwwdeca.org or email them at [email protected].