Group lends helping hand

By: Katie Kane

Helping Hands, a volunteer organization with a focus on helping people and animals in and around the Whitewater community, conducted a trash pick-up from 2 to 4 p.m. on Sept. 29 around campus. The group focused on parking lot clean-up.

Clarksen

“[Helping Hands] has created long-lasting connections between our campus and community, and that makes all the difference in the world,” Student Service Coordinator Kimberly Clarksen said.

The group has also made a trip to Jefferson to pick-up trash along the main road in front of the Jefferson County Humane Society.

According to senior Samantha Robinson, Helping Hands president, the organization doesn’t normally do clean-up projects.  Robinson said keeping the community clean is very important, and Helping Hands was more than happy to be a part of it.

Helping Hands opens up a new portal for people, Robinson said.  The group aspires to educate the general public.  The group is hoping to gain more members and to put together more regular events.

“We just had our first meeting of the year and we were very happy about the turnout,” Robinson said.

The group has a few events planned for this upcoming semester, including a fundraiser and more work

Robinson

with the Jefferson County Humane Society.

The group meetings and upcoming events will be posted on the UW-Whitewater events calendar and anyone is welcome. If anyone is interested in Helping Hands, they encourage you to send an email to [email protected] with any questions.