Royal Purple

Birge Watching

The Birge Fountain, located at 402 W. Main St., is a City of Whitewater landmark maintained by a subcommittee of the Landmarks Commission. The historic fountain is named after one of Whitewater’s first settlers, Julius Birge, and has since been dedicated to former University of Wisconsin-Whitewater art professor James M. Wenkle for his work restoring the landmark in 1983 after bouts of vandalism.

Sutton Rettig, Staff Reporter

April 2, 2018

Throughout the past several years, the Birge Fountain Committee has been putting in efforts to restore the beauty of Birge Fountain, a local landmark. This committee consists of seven members, including a Common Council representative, a Public Works representative, a Landmarks Commission representative a...

The fountain of history in Whitewater

Birge Fountain close up

November 6, 2014

Nov. 5, 2014 By Vesna Brajkovic It begins with a boy and his love for his hometown. It ends with a 17-foot high, 100-year-old fountain sitting on the junction of North and Main streets in Whitewater. In the middle, there is a boy named Julius Birge – the first child born to William and Mary...

Founded 1901
Birge Fountain