Students’ peace essays compete for $1,000

Students who are interested in peace and justice around the world have the opportunity to win $1,000 by stating their hopes for society.

The Refior Peace Prize accepts essays about world peace and movements for social justice from students in good standing. The deadline is March 1.

Everett Refior is a former UW-Whitewater Economics Department professor and chair. He started the Refior Peace Prize when he retired from UW-Whitewater, and his widow continued to fund the essay ever since he died.

David Reinhart, Ph.D., a lecturer in the Philosophy & Religious Studies Department, is part of a committee that has created a new minor on campus with a similar focus as the essay contest. Reinhart, Professor Holly Denning and Zohreh Ghavamshahidi, Ph.D., will review the essays and choose the winner.

Reinhart said one of the focuses of the new Peace and Social Justice minor, and a possible topic for an essay, is a different outlook on history than students may be accustomed to.

“The study of peace tries to take a broader perspective on the study of history,” Reinhart said. “What happened in wars is important to know, but what were the dynamics that led to the war and what are the dynamics and structures important for sustaining peace after a war?”

Denning said he believes other topics students may write about should somehow discuss “ways to achieve world peace from international and collaborative projects. This includes questions of ecology and resources in relation to power, peace, theoretical and philosophical issues, religion and peace and utopias and justice initiatives.”

Essays must be at least 2,000 words and double spaced. Submissions can be sent to Reinhart at [email protected]. Reinhart said if a student needs more time to complete the essay, contact him before the deadline of March 1 to discuss a possible extension.