Women’s Track and Field: Multiple athletes shine at Drake meet

By Neal Johnson and Zach Hicks

The Warhawks women’s track took a big stride toward a strong season finish Saturday at the Drake Alternative in Whitewater.
Although there were no team scores during the event individual scores were recorded.
Senior Alyssa Duncan finished second in the 1500 with a time of 4:44.68.
“The meet helped to build confidence for the conference meet and keep in routine of competing,” Duncan said. “We finally had a beautiful day for a track meet and many people took advantage of it and performed well.
Sophomore Lexie Sondgeroth took first in the 100 meters finishing with a time of 11.99. The time marks the best on the WIAC honor roll and fourth-best on the NCAA Division III honor roll.
The ’Hawks also had victors in the 200 meter dash (Sophomore Beth Dreikosen), the 400 meter dash (sophomore Amanda Brom), high jump (senior Lauren Strohmaier), pole vault (junior Melanie Pilon) and javelin throw (sophomore Jackie Bigger).
Strohmaier also finished strong in the long jump placing second with a jump of      18-11.75.
In addition to all of the first place performances on the day, the Hawks’ had several other strong finishes from other key contributors on the team.
Senior Simone Koenen finished second to her teammate Brom in the 400 meters finishing with a time of 59.19.
Duncan said that the seniors embraced their last meet at home.
“I am very happy with how the meet went,” Duncan said. “For seniors, it was our last time competing at our home facility so it was a nice to have a good day.
Sophomore Shelby Mahr took second place in discus and shot put. Mahr said she was pleasantly surprised with her performance.
“I performed better than I had expected,” Mahr said. “I have been working on some technique issues that I have been having, so it was nice to have a good day.”
Duncan cited younger athletes, such as Pilon and Mahr, as key contributors to the success the team has had this season.
“This year’s team is always very supportive of one another and works to make each other better,” Duncan said. “We have a fair amount of younger individuals who have done a great job [of] contributing to the team’s success.”
Next up for the ‘Hawks is the WIAC Outdoor Championship May 3rd and 4th at the UW-LaCrosse.
“This meet really helped all of us gear up for the conference meet, “ Mahr said. “Our team works very hard to make each other better, we really push each other and I think that has really helped us this season.”