Organization overload

By Alexandria Zamecnik

New organizations are popping up on campus left and right. On Wednesday afternoon, more than 180 organizations set up along the Wyman Mall in hopes of sparking student interest. Hundreds of students bustled from table to table, collecting flyers with club information.

Chancellor Richard Telfer even had a chance to explore the Involvement Fair.

“It’s really exciting to see all the different organizations, and the students talking about them,” he said. “Several of these organizations are brand new to campus this year.”

Among that list of fresh organizations is Amnesty International, a group dedicated to spreading the awareness of human rights worldwide. President Tyler Marshall has big plans for the end of the year, involving music, fundraising and a venue.Telfer_RichardWEB

Secretary Brian Turner wants students to know Amnesty International is fighting for the rights of humans and against those who try to impede on them.

“We joined on campus because we’re all very, very passionate about the work,” Turner said. “We wanted to bring it to the campus, we wanted to show more people, and we wanted to make a difference.”

Amnesty International meets at 6 p.m. Wednesdays in McGraw 117.

Along the common theme of humanity, UW-Whitewater has added Freedom Force to its lineup. Freedom Force, also known as Love146 Task Force, fights human trafficking and modern-day slavery.

An enthused Cassie Steiner, president of Freedom Force, is looking for freshmen interested in the idea of pursuing a leadership position.

“Advocacy is the key,” Steiner said. “Young people can make a real difference through raising funds and educating their peers.”

All majors can attend the weekly Monday meetings held at 9 p.m. in McGraw 117.Brian TurnerWEB

Dance Maraton also is new to campus. Dance Marathon looks to raise money for the Children’s Miracle Network and Children’s Hospital in Milwaukee through a 17 hour dance event on March 1.

Co-President Jeni Gruber is looking for dancers, committee members and people willing to work during the marathon.

“You don’t even have to be good at dancing,” Gruber laughed. “Anybody and everybody are invited.”

Dance Marathon is an organization that is low-key.

“It’s going to be a fun event,” said Gruber. “There won’t be loads of paperwork. It’s sort of like, hey, let’s make a poster. Let’s make some plans for how we’re going to promote this.”

The first meeting is 5 p.m. Sept. 24 in the University Center Common Area. Dance Marathon is looking to give Iowa State, the current title-holders of the biggest dance, a run for their money.

President Jake Smith is excited to announce the League of Legends Club to UW-Whitewater. League of Legends is a strategic online video game battle. Jeni GruberWEB

“There is no other club like this on campus; it seemed like the right thing to do,” Smith sad. “It’s all about hanging out, just playing the game and having fun. That’s the most important part.”

Riot Games, the creators of the online game, sponsor the UW-Whitewater league. The organization often receives free and interesting products from the company.

League of Legends Club meets at 6 p.m. every Monday in McGraw 125. Smith encourages anyone interested in socializing through the means of video games. Although League of Legends Club mainly consists of Game Development and Communication majors; the organization is looking to expand its horizons to those who enjoy playing the game and having fun.

In addition, WeatherHawks has taken up a home on campus. WeatherHawks is a student-run organization that promotes learning and builds a network of weather and climate enthusiasts.

President Andy Courtney realizes some students on campus wake up for the day, and do not know what to wear.

“We do forecasts for the week,” Courtney said.

“No one really comes to Whitewater and thinks about geography or weather. It’s always business.  So it’s kind of getting a new aspect of weather and climate and seeing what’s going on in the world.” He hopes students will realize the impact that weather plays in their lives.

The organization has big plans for its first year on campus. Big plans consist of: National Severe Weather Week, setting up a station for big storms, and a possible trip to the local middle school.

WeatherHawks meets at 4 p.m. every other Tuesday, starting Sept. 17, in Upham 160.

A push for student advocacy can be seen on campus. UW-Whitewater Empower is trying to make big changes. President Nathan Perry wants the organization to be seen and heard, not only around campus, but around the world.

Empower focuses on fundraising to help entrepreneurs all over the globe through microlending with the help of Kiva. Empower just adopted a highway last semester and plans on sending out more loans to businesses in developing countries. Students of all majors have the opportunity to receive community service hours while working to better the community. UW-Whitewater Empower offers great networking opportunities for soon to be graduates.

Meet with Empower at 5 p.m. on Tuesdays in Hyland Hall.

Graduate Assistant for Career and Leadership Development, Katie Barbour, was a large part behind scenes of the Involvement Fair. She spent the two weeks prior recording information, communicating and dealing with logistics.

“The most difficult part of organizing, especially when it deals with so many organizations and people, is just making sure that everyone is happy,” Barbour said. “The Involvement Fair went great. We actually sent out a survey to student organizations, and so far the responses have been great.”

Of the 47 respondents to the survey, 100 percent of the organizations believed the goals they had coming into the fair were fully satisfied. Every organization was pleased with recruiting, marketing, and branding. One organization was able to get 80 new students interested in its ideas.