Senior recitalist transferred to UW-Whitewater and never looked back

By Signe Trewyn

Ryan Isensee began music when he was in sixth grade and he continued it throughout middle school and straight through high school.

Isensee originally transferred from UW-Eau Claire and settled in Whitewater where he pursued his music education. He is a music major and a BA student.

The reason Isensee said he came to UW-Whitewater is that it was the only school that allowed him to do music, and his inspiration is music professor Michael Dugan.

“I like playing music a lot, and I like the opportunity of playing trombone.” Isensee said. “I like the trombone because I like the slide and there are no buttons.”

His inspiration and mentor for music was his professor Michael Dugan along with his colleagues.

“My father did not support me in music at first, he wanted me to go into business, but my mother supported me,” Isensee said.

Eventually, Isensee said he did support him once he saw that Isensee was interested in music.

Music Professor Michael Dugan said he had been teaching at UW-Whitewater for 6 years and he loves to teach.

“There is never a dull moment, every day is different, I love teaching because of the students and no one dreads going to work,” Dugan said.

He said he sees Isensee continuing his music career after Whitewater. Dugan’s favorite instrument is trombone and that is the one Ryan is playing in the recital. It is the third recital of trombone this year.

Dugan said he had been working with trombone for a long time, even through his college years before he began at Whitewater.  What he likes most about teaching is the students and no one in his department dreads getting up and going to work. Seeking out new artists and new styles of music is his favorite part, Dugan said.

“It’s exciting to teach music,” Dugan said.

What interests Dugan most about music is that it’s always interesting.

“It is a creative outlet, and it is an expressive way to have fun,” Dugan said.

The recital for Isensee will be held at 3 p.m. on Oct. 27 in the Light Recital Hall.