Men’s and Women’s Cross Country: Warhawks finish middle of the pack

By Justin Woodard

The UW-Whitewater men’s and women’s cross country teams have finished middle of the pack in most of their races this season and the result was no different this past weekend at the Midwest Regional in Rock Island, Ill.

The men finished 19th out of 39 teams and the women finished 19th out of 38 teams on Saturday Nov. 16 at the Saukie Golf Course. Junior Matthew Rudquist was the top Warhawk finisher on the men’s side coming in 82nd place with a time of 26:24. Senior Kevin Buntman finished in 88th place with a time of 26:32.

Junior Amanda Brom was the top Warhawk to finish for the women coming in 77th place with a time of 23:30. Sophomore sisters Emily and Amy Kahl came in second and third for the ‘Hawks with times of 23:53 and 24:05 respectively.

Even though the ‘Hawks lose an experienced runner in Buntman on next year’s team, many sophomores and juniors will be back next year, including top runner on the men’s side in Dawson Miller and Brom on the women’s side.

Despite falling short of their team goal of fifth place at the conference tournament this season, Buntman believes his younger teammates will be in the running for that same goal next season.

“They are a group of really talented young men,” Buntman said. “If they can put together a team effort to improve and race smart, good things will happen. Obviously they will only be able to do what they can do and not change what another team does, but they have a great chance.”

Sophomores Ryan Maes and Quinn Farley finished well at the Regional meet and they will return next season along with fellow sophomore Kent Miehe, who ran well all year for the ‘Hawks.

For the women the Kahl sisters will be back next season along with sophomores Jaclyn Rowe and Mary Kate Bernier. Brom, who finished as the top Warhawk runner in the last couple of races to end the season, keeps a positive outlook on next season.

“The experience will play a large role in how well our team will do,” Brom said. “A lot of young people were given the chance to experience big meets and that will help us move forward next year.”