More than just finding books

UW-W librarians help students, community develop research skills 

Jan. 22, 2014

By Jacqueline Schaefer

Libraries are known for housing books and information, but Andersen Library is more than just a place to find great books. It’s also a place to find great librarians.

The library has 24 staff members who work in a specific department such as acquisition, circulation, reference and instruction, or tech services.

Additionally, each department of study within UW-Whitewater has its own liaison librarian who is equipped to help with questions specific to each area.

Many librarians help students at the reference desk each day, but they do more than just answer questions. Some tasks include looking for materials to add to collections, committee work, meetings, looking up research questions and helping set up classes for students.

Diana Shull
Diana Shull

“There really isn’t a typical day for a librarian,” said Ronna Timmerman, Reference and Instruction Librarian. “What we’re doing depends on time of semester and time of day.”

While many librarians work at the reference desk, each librarian has his or her own duties and interests, including librarian Dianna Shull.

“I’m a reference librarian, but I’m a liaison with the learning technology center, so I alert campus to interesting new tech trends such as apps or products that would help students learn,” Shull said.

The librarians are constantly helping students by finding materials, giving research tips, sponsoring the Relaxathon during finals week and checking out many forms of materials and equipment.

Possibly one of their biggest jobs is answering questions.

“As librarians, we don’t just get library and research questions; we get asked about everything from ‘the printer isn’t working,’ to ‘where’s the pencil sharpener,’ to ‘I lost my document,’” Timmerman said. “We can usually figure out how to help students, but if we can’t, we send them in the right direction.”

Reference and Instruction Librarian Carol Elsen said librarians do more than try to help students with school related problems; they are concerned with helping build students into successful adults.

“The library staff that work in public services are the public face of the library to the students,” Elsen said. “Along with the faculty and the community, we have a role in shaping students for the future by helping to build them into adults who have critical thinking skills.”

The Andersen librarians also play a role in helping the community. Anyone can email a librarian or visit the library and ask them for help finding information.

“We have a collection of children’s materials mainly for the college of education, but students who have children can check out our children’s book and use them with their families,” Head of Reference and Instruction Librarian Barb Bren said.

The librarians are here to help not just students, they’re here to help everyone.

“It’s important to remember that the library isn’t here for one person,” Elsen said. “We’re here for our students, faculty, and community. It’s not our library, but your library.”