M/W Wheelchair Basketball: Perfect Weekend

Jan. 29

By Ryan Altman

There is only one word that can describe the success of the UW-Whitewater Warhawks men’s and women’s wheelchair basketball teams this past weekend: perfection.

During a two-day span on Jan. 25 and 26 at the University of Edinboro, the two teams combined for a perfect record of 8-0, taking on opponents from the University of Illinois, the Canadian National Academy and the host University of Edinboro.

Men’s Hoops
On Friday, the men’s squad began tournament play with a 62-38 rout of the Canadian National Academy. Freshman Dylan Fischbach exploded for 28 points, while senior Ben Kenyon added 12 points and six assists.

Next for the ’Hawks was the tournament host, the University of Edinboro. Senior Jake Williams scored 14 points and dished out six assists in a 65-30 victory against the Fighting Scots. Junior Derrick Bisnett added 12 points.

Despite winning the first game of the tournament, Bisnett said there were some things the team could have done better.

bisnettWEB
Derrick Bisnett

“After the first [game], I felt that we didn’t play our best,” Bisnett said. “I was really happy the way we bounced back after the first game.”

The ’Hawks saw the Canadian National Academy once again in their last game on Jan. 25. The ’Hawks won in convincing fashion, 71-53, behind Williams’ 19 points and eight assists, both game-highs. Kenyon and Fischbach added 13 points apiece for the ’Hawks.

On Jan. 26, the ’Hawks played their fourth and final game against the University of Illinois. At one point, the ’Hawks held a 38-point lead over the Fighting Illini, eventually winning, 84-56. Williams led the ’Hawks in scoring for a third time with 32 points.

’Hawks men’s head coach Jeremy Lade said Williams’ point total in the game wasn’t the only thing he was impressed by.

“It’s not only the fact that he scored 32 points, it’s what he did as a leader,” Lade said. “He played great defensively as well.”

Women’s Hoops
The ’Hawks beat the University of Illinois, 68-44, in their tournament-opener on Jan. 25. Sophomore Mariska Beijer led the ’Hawks with 22 points. Graduate student Mareike Adermann (19 points), Senior Becca Murray (15 points) and graduate student Desiree Miller (10 points) all scored in double figures for the ’Hawks as well.

Following their first game, the ’Hawks took on the University of Edinboro, dismantling the Fighting Scots in a landslide, 55-17. Beijer led the ’Hawks in scoring with 12 points, while junior Jill Host added 11 points and eight assists.

Host attributed the team’s success in this tournament to its defense.

“We were really strong defensively,” Host said. “Our shots weren’t always falling, so we really depended on our defense to be successful.”

In the final game of day one, the ’Hawks defeated the Canadian National Academy, 61-37. Beijer led all scorers for a third time with 22 points, while Miller (15 points) and Murray (12 points) followed in double figures as well.

priceWEB
Dan Price

On Saturday, the ’Hawks completed their fourth and final game against repeat opponent, the University of Illinois. Behind Beijer’s game-high 22 points, the ’Hawks defeated the Fighting Illini, 54-34. Adermann grabbed 19 rebounds for the ’Hawks.

’Hawks women’s head coach Dan Price said they utilized Beijer’s post abilities as a key to victory.

“Mariska played phenomenal,” Price said. “She allowed us to pound the ball inside and take advantage of her height and quickness.”

The ’Hawks have two tournaments remaining on their respective schedules before March’s National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament.

Both the men’s and women’s teams are back in action Feb. 7, when they travel to the University of Illinois in Champaign.