Organization runs to save hearts

By Abrielle Backhaus

April 28, 2014

UW-Whitewater’s Public Relations Student Society of America has set out to make exercising a bit more fun for the community.

A recess-like fun run, known as the Glow Run, will feel more like a party than a road race. There are no winners or no prizes, just a big rave-like party session.

Taylor Bohmann, PRSSA fundraising chair and Glow Run director, said the glow run idea came to her through the inspiration she felt from our generation’s interest in raves.

“Well my sister is really into rave stuff, and I know all my friends like raves and glow sticks so I was like let’s bring it into Whitewater,” Bohmann said.

Runners will be led through the course marked by music and neon lights. Three local DJ’s will be posted along the path so music can be heard the entire way through.

PRSSA is holding the 5K as a fundraiser for the American Heart Association. A UW-W PRSSA alumna works for the AHA and helped the current student group coordinate the event.

40 percent of the proceeds go to put on the event and the other 60 percent will go to the AHA.

Bohmann said she expects to see a good turn-out for the event and hopes PRSSA will reach its set goal.

“500 people, that’s what I want,” Bohmann said. “And then raising like $10,000 because it is a really good cause.”

PRSSA advisor Ann Knabe said the Glow Run is a great way for the PRSSA members to practice what they learn in school in a tangible way.

“The Glow Run is one of many initiatives that the PRSSA group has undertaken,” Knabe said.  “It’s an excellent opportunity for the students to exercise their public relation skills in terms of promoting in special event planning or giving back to the community.”

Knabe said she hopes the event will help bring awareness to the community and encourage people to get involved.

The idea of exercise and a 5K run weave together seamlessly as being fit keeps the heart healthy, Knabe said.

“It’s after sun-down. It’s a glow run with the mystique of night,” Knabe said. “It’s just an all-around fantastic event for the campus, the community and PRSSA.”

The 5K costs $20 per person or $75 for a group of 5. This cost includes entry in the glow run, a t-shirt, glow sticks, glow paint, food and beverages. Registration for the Glow Run is open until race day.

Registration for the 5K will start at 7 p.m. with the run beginning at 8 p.m. on May 10 at the Coulthart Family Pavilion on the UW-Whitewater Campus. For driving directions, use 910 Schwager Dr, Whitewater, WI 53190 (Perkins Stadium).