Defense shines in win

Sept. 24, 2014 By Kali Schmieding

The Warhawks women’s soccer team earned a third straight shutout in its Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference opener Sept. 20.

The ’Hawks topped the UW-Stevens Point Pointers 4-0.

Four different players scored for the ’Hawks.

Senior goalkeeper Jordan Myers earned her fourth shutout [6-2 on the season].

“Yesterday went really well,” Myers said. “I am glad we put a team in the conference away completely. We played really well as a team. It feels really good to earn another shutout. It shows that our defense is improving. Our team is really improving as a whole.”

The Pointers were held to just two corner kicks, and the ’Hawks allowed no shots on the goal.

“I am very happy this week with the defensive play,” head coach Ryan Quamme said. “We have had three straight shutouts, and we are very happy with how we have been finishing things in the backfield. We have been playing a lot quicker.”

Senior midfielder Sarah Sedler scored the first goal at the 32 minute mark off an assist from sophomore forward Carina Krausert.

Krausert led the ’Hawks with one goal and one assist.

Ruth Lenzen, a freshman defender, scored her first career goal in the 37 minute off an assist from freshman Jordan Jackson. That was Jackson’s second assist on the season.

Krausert found the net and scored her second goal of the season off an assist from sophomore forward Brianna Reid.

“Sarah played great in both games [this week],” Quamme said. “She scored the first goal on Sunday and she had a fantastic week.”

Scoring her third goal on the season, sophomore forward Carly Pottle found the back of the net scoring the final goal in the 76 minute off of a throw-in from sophomore defender Sierra High.

“The game yesterday went good,” Quamme said. “It was a great start to our conference games.”

He said he is very happy with how the games have been going and he is looking forward to the rest of the season.

The ’Hawks return to non-conference play Sept. 24 when they travel to Augustana [Illinois].

“I am looking forward to conference play,” Myers said. “When you are a freshman and sophomore you do not really understand how important those games are. I am really excited to compete in the conference one last time and feel the rivalry.”

The team will then head back home to play a second conference game against UW-River Falls at 7 p.m. Sept. 27 at Fiskum Field.