‘Hawks win seventh in a row

Oct. 15, 2014 By Kali Schmieding

The UW-Whitewater Warhwawk women’s soccer team played against North Park [ILL] Vikings conference opponent UW-La Crosse last week.

In Chicago Oct. 8, sophomore Brianna Reid scored all of the ’Hawks’ goals in a 3-1 win against the Vikings.

The Vikings came out strong, scoring the first goal of the match in the 11th minute.  They had the lead into intermission.

At the start of the second half, Reid scored her first goal in the 52nd minute.

The Vikings offense continued to come out strong, having three shots on the goal in less than 20 seconds.

Freshman midfielder Marie Lesperance assisted Reid with the Hawk’s second goal in the 77th minute.

Reid’s final goal was also scored off of an assist from Lesperance in the 79th minute to complete a hat trick. The last hat trick recorded by the Hawks’ was from Jenna Woodson in Oct. 2012.

The ’Hawks held off the Vikings in the final minutes to seal the win.

The Warhawks traveled to Uw- La Crosse on Saturday to play another conference game against the Eagles. The ’Hawks earned their ninth straight win with a 2-1 victory.  The ’Hawks are currently undefeated in the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.

“Yesterday’s game over all went pretty well,” sophomore forward Carly Pottle said. “We came out strong and played well together. We were all frustrated that we could not keep the shut out, but we were happy we got the win, especially a conference win.”

The first goal of the match was scored by Pottle for her fifth goal of the year. The ’Hawks have now won 26 straight regular season conference games.

“It feels awesome to be undefeated,” Pottle said. “We show up to practice every morning, and to see it all payoff is a great feeling. We have three more conference games to go and we are looking forward to continuing our winning streak.”

The game winning goal for the ’Hawks was scored by freshman defender Nicole Lorenz in the 81st minute off of an assist from sophomore forward Carina Krausert.

“This season has been great,” Pottle said. “This team has so many strengths and we have so much depth. We all have so much confidence in each other and that is what helps our success.”

UW- La Crosse scored their only point of the match in the 86th minute, but the ’Hawks held them off earning a four-consecutive road win.

“I am very excited to continue conference play and I know the team is too,” Pottle said. “We have to finish out the season strong as we head into the conference tournament. We have one of the biggest games of the year Wednesday, and I am really looking forward to it.”

The ’Hawks return home on Wednesday Oct. 15 to play the UW-Oshkosh Titans. The WIAC conference game will take place at 7 p.m. at Fiskum Field.