Becker, ‘Hawks ready for D-III Championship

March 4, 2015 By Joe Walsh

Junior diver Sierra Becker has qualified for the NCAA Division III Swimming and Diving Championships off the one and three-meter boards for her performance at regionals Feb. 26 and 27 at the University of Chicago.

Breaking school records is  common for Becker this year and she did it again at regionals. After breaking the one-meter board record a week ago at the Conference Championship, she beat that number by 36 points. Her name is now in the books for the one-meter board with a total of 492.40 and the three-meter board at 460.65. Becker’s performance landed her fourth place and seventh place.

Becker had a rough season after an injury during soccer.

“I had a knee injury from soccer this Fall,” Becker said. “I had to have surgery, I wasn’t sure that I would be able to compete at all this season.  I am grateful to my coaches and teammates for their support and encouragement through the injury and the season.”

Becker qualified for the national championships for the third consecutive season and earned Honorable Mention All-America honors the last two seasons.

“I think Sierra can final at NCAA’s on both boards, and she has a shot at winning the 1 meter event,” assistant coach Trevor Sisson said. “Sierra’s greatest strength is her determination and ability to continue moving forward, even through the toughest of meets.”

The D-III Championship is scheduled for March 18-21 at the Conroe ISD Natatorium in Shenandoah, Texas. Becker will head there with eight teammates: senior Amy Spaay, freshman Michaela Matthys, senior Kayla Martin, senior Kelsey Kohlbeck, freshman Stephanie Haebig, freshman Rachael Stuberg, sophomore Grace Devine and junior Autumn Mulgrew.

“We have amazing old and new talent that is competing at nationals, and I am confident that they will continue to break records and place in the top at national,” Becker said.

Spaay, the 2013 national  champion in both the 100- and 200-yard breastroke, will look to add two more titles to her resume. She will enter the meet with the top time in D-III this season with a time of 1:01.93 in the 100. Spaay ranks 11th in the nation this season with her time of 2:19.35 in the 200. Spaay can also compete in the 50-yard freestyle.

Matthys qualified in two individual events in her first year of collegiate competition. She will compete in the 100-yard butterfly and the 200-yard butterfly. Matthys seed time of 55.64 in the 100-yard and 2:04.19 in 200-yard were set at the WIAC Championships and both are school records. Matthys will have the option to compete in the 50-yard freestyle as well.

Martin is ranked 21st for the National Championship in the 1,650-yard freestyle for her school record breaking performance of 17:24.26 in the WIAC championship.

“It’s exciting, and it’s the best I’ve ever been ranked, which is a great note to go out on senior year,” Martin said. “I’m excited to swim in it again in Texas, lets see if I can get any faster.”

The Warhawks’ 200-yard medley relay foursome features Spaay, Matthys, Martin and Kohlbeck. Their time of 1:44.32 at the WIAC Conference Championships broke the school record and is the 10th fastest time this season.

In the 400-yard medley relay Haebig will join Spaay, Matthys, and Kohlbeck. This foursome has their own school record when they touched the wall at 3:49.40 during the NCAA Championship.

The 200-yard freestyle relay is an optional entry for UW-Whitewater in the National championships. Matthys, Stuberg, Devine, and Mulgrew recordered a school record time of 1:37.03 in the conference championships, which was the 25th fastest time in D-III.

“This has been a spectacular year for the women’s swim team,” Becker said. “My teammates have proven that they are driven, competitive, and talented.  They have worked hard individually and as a team to make this the best season in women’s swimming and diving at Whitewater.”