Student org to host Chili Cook-Off

March 4, 2015

By Rumasa Noor

The UW-Whitewater student organization Pi Sigma Epsilon (PSE) is orchestrating the Chili Cook-off on March 6 that will bring food and entertainment on one platform.

Attendees will have the opportunity to make and enjoy chili and show off their cooking prowess.

“It’s $5 to eat, but we are having a deal that if you bring in a canned good for the Whitewater Food Pantry you will get one dollar off,” said Fay Kaderabek, Vice President of Public Relations at PSE.

A portion of the proceeds will go to the local food pantry, PSE president Alise Brown said.

“We are just doing it to raise money for the food pantry and part of it will go to us,” Brown said. “It’s one of our events that we do to raise money for our organization so we can keep events going.”

Whitewater Food Pantry is a place where people who are looking for food can go and eat free of cost, Brown said.

“We have done it every year since we have been an organization,” Brown said. “It’s one of our main events that we do every year. This year we are trying to get it really known. Last year, the turnout wasn’t as well so we are trying to do a lot of more marketing and advertising so people know about it and can come and enjoy it.”

PSE is a business organization with an emphasis on marketing and sales, but it welcomes all majors.

Kaderabek is a sophomore majoring in Graphic Design and Brown is a junior and Health and Human Services major, and both students are in leadership roles in PSE.

Brown said they want to provide a place for people to socialize and have fun through the event.

“It’s going to be a really good time, we are going to have a live band, their name is Titan Fun Key,” Brown said. “It’s actually our faculty adviser’s band so they are actually very good. They come play at this event every year for us, and it’s fun to just listen to the band, hangout, meet people, [and] eat chili.”

Students will have the chance to win prizes at the event, Brown said.

Chili Cook-off will take place in Starin Park Community Center.