Speech skills help students’ future jobs

March 11, 2015

Public speaking is feared more than death, as they say. Upon coming to college, most students learn the value and importance of honing their public speaking skills. Whether taking COMM 110 or practicing for job interviews.

Speaking skills are not only important in the workplace, but also in college since most students will have to inevitably give a speech.

One great organization to join to become proficient in speaking is Forensics where students can give hes on a variety of topics.

Forensics is one of the best ways to conquer what communication professors call “speech anxiety” which affects most communication students.

Signe Trewyn
Commentary by
Signe Trewyn
Assistant Opinion Editor

Most audience members at a speech recognize the anxiety in speakers such as rushing through the speech, as well as stumbling over words. Forensics allows students to gain speaking skills early on as well as develop persuasion and research skills.

Statistics show 74 percent of people suffer from speech anxiety, according to www.statisticbrain.com. Most people don’t know they have it until they begin speaking.

An individual should not let themselves fall victim to speech anxiety since it is such an important skill in college.

Gestures are also important. Narrative speeches are the most appropriate for the use of gestures since the audience can be guided through the story. In a persuasive speech, gestures that point to certain charts and statistics on a PowerPoint are best.

Varying pitch while speaking adds emphasis to words and tone of the speech. This becomes especially handy in Forensics since most speeches are humorous or serious.

Both of these skills come in handy during job interviews; during an interview, a student will have the chance to tell the story with emphasis.

Instances of pauses can make an employer hesitant to continue with the interview, which is why it is important to show confidence.

Speaking skills help in the workplace because an employee who dictates ideas and developments of their company stand out. People who become interested in the services and products the company has to offer can be persuaded to make a purchase upon hearing these speeches.

It is important to be confident in order to gain speaking skills and even study public speaking since it will only help a student to get a job as well as an “A” on their next speech.