Three’s the lucky number: track takes third

April 22, 2011 By Kali Schmieding

Both the UW-Whitewater men and women’s track teams took third place out of 12 teams over the weekend at Augustana, Illinois.

The No. 3 ranked women’s team earned 143.50 points, falling to UW-Stevens Point and Olivet Nazarene University, Bourbonnais, Illinois.

The No. 2-ranked men’s team earned 123 points, falling to UW-Stevens point and Augustana.

Women’s team led by three first place finishes

Senior Amanda Brom earned first place in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:13.82. This was a team season-best time for the ’Hawks.

“I was happy with my performance,” Brom said. “I needed a race to just get out there and run. I didn’t focus on anything else but trying to run controlled.”

Junior Megan Buse, junior Candice Wayne, sophomore Leah Richter and sophomore Meredith Heller combined for a time of 3:57.24 in the 4×400 meter relay earning first place. This was also a season-best time for the ’Hawks.

Buse also placed second in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:39.11. This was a personal-best and team-best performance.

Senior Lexie Sondgeroth earned a season-best time and first place in the 200-meter dash with a time of 25.08.

“Everyone performed well yesterday,” Brom said. “Some people had an amazing race and others are just where they need to be this time of the year.”

Sophomore Genny Rose Stringer also had a respectable performance in discus with a throw of 158-05, earning second place. This was a personal-best for Stringer and team season-best for the ’Hawks.

Senior captain Shelby Mahr also earned second place with a throw of 43-09.00 in shot put.

“I look forward to seeing how well the team will come together at conference this year,” Brom said.

Harms, Cournia lead men’s squad in Augustana 

For the men, freshman Brett Harms earned first place in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a personal-best time of 9:38.99.

“I am satisfied with my performance since it was only my second attempt at steeplechase,” Harms said. “I wasn’t too concerned with placing or anything like that. I was just trying to run a good time and bump my way up on the conference honor roll.”

Freshman Mike Cournia also earned first place in the high jump with a personal-record leap of 6-05.00.

Senior Mike Judd took second place in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.05.

Freshman Theron Baumann earned second place with a personal-best and team-best throw of 55-03.50.

“We have a very talented team this season,” Harms said. “We’re trying to place as high as we possibly can at our conference meet. With the talented group that we have, I think we can surprise some people.”

Sophomore Quinn Farley earned a personal-best and team-best time of 32:18.05 and taking eight place in the 10,000-meter run.

Senior Tony Urbanski also earned a personal-best and team-best for the ’Hawks, when he received a time of 1:53.64 and took fourth place in the 800-meter run.

“Our next focus is our conference meet,” Harms said. “I’m looking forward to gearing up for one of our biggest meets of the season and hopefully setting some new personal records before the season ends.”

Both teams will split on April 24 and April 25. The ’Hawks will continue action participating in the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa. The ’Hawks will also host the Drake Alternative Meet at Rex Foster Track Saturday at 10 a.m.