WIAC champs crowned

May 6, 2015 By Kali Schmieding

Three Warhawks brought home WIAC individual championships over the weekend in men and women’s track and field.

Senior captain Dawson Miller set a WIAC championship record in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a time of 8:57.89 for the third-consecutive year. Miller is the first person in WIAC history to win a title in the event for three straight seasons.

“I’m very pleased with my performance,” Miller said. “I defended my title for the second year in a row in the steeplechase on Friday and I tied my highest place in the mile with a fourth place finish on Saturday.”

Senior Lexie Sondgeroth won the 400-meter dash with a team season best time of 55.08 seconds. She is a five-time conference outdoor champion. This is her first title in the 400.

Freshman Mike Cournia won the championship in the triple jump with a mark of 49-06.25.

Men record best finish since 2007

The men’s team took second place in the WIAC championship totaling 124 points. This is the team’s best conference finish since 2007. UW-La Crosse won the conference.

“The team’s overall performance was excellent,” Miller said. “We had someone on the podium at almost every event. Many people broke or were near their qualifying marks.”

Senior captain Mike Judd placed second in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 14.73 seconds, the team’s best of the season.

Freshman Theron Baumann also earned second in his event. Baumann threw a 53-02.25 in shot put. Baumann also placed third in the discus throw with a mark of 163-10.

Warhawks’ freshman Robert Starnes also placed second in the high jump with a mark of 6-09.50.

In the 400-meter dash, senior captain Jared Denu finished fifth  with a time of 48.94.

“The team’s goal for the rest of the season is to bring a trophy home with us,” Miller said. “Many of the seniors competed on the 2013 team when we were fourth indoor and outdoor, and we want to achieve that status one more time.”

Women finish fifth overall

The women’s team took fifth place at the WIAC championship totaling 98.33 points.

Along with Sondgeroth’s first place finish in the 400, she also placed third in the 200-meter dash with a team season best time of 24.34 seconds.

Junior Amy Kahl finished third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase with a personal record and team season best time of 11:31.79.

“I just made sure to listen to my coach and go out conservative,” Kahl said. “It really comes down to the last lap of the race and in the past I have struggled with having a good kick at the end. I also listened to my body and waited to pick up speed until I knew I could maintain it until the finish line.”

Warhawks’ senior captain Shelby Mahr took second in the shot put with a team season best mark of 48-01.25.

Senior Megan Buse also took second in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 4:45.65.

In the discus competition, sophomore Genny Rose Stringer earned second place with a throw of 145-06.

“The team got fifth overall, but I think everyone was pretty pleased with how we did considering many people got personal best times,” Kahl said. “Two of the distance girls got on the podium for the first time and it’s also both of their last season so I was really happy for them.”

The ’Hawks will continue the outdoor season next Saturday at the North Central Dr. Keeler Invitational and the UW-La Crosse Eagle Open.