‘Hawks look to return to postseason

September 3, 2015 By Justin St. Peter

When men’s soccer head coach Tony Guinn was hired four years ago, he vowed to recruit players from all over the world.

That statement is now a reality for the Warhawks.

“Soccer is a multicultural sport, and the makeup of some of the greatest teams in the world are from all over the world,” Guinn said. “We have a Canadian, two Africans, a guy from Belarus and an Englishman.”

Junior defender Chris Roche, from England, is the veteran international player after making eight starts last year. He will be joined by four freshmen in midfielder Deklan Corbett from Canada, midfielder Carmel Nezien from Burkina Faso, Africa, midfielder Derick Achombom from Cameroon, Africa and forward Ivan Khamenka from Belarus.

Senior midfielder Sam Novak said he is happy to have the international players on the team.

“They are really experienced in soccer,” Novak said. “It helps our team a lot because they are very technical.”

After losing nine seniors from last year’s team, Guinn will look to fill those spots with the thirteen new freshmen on this year’s team.

“I really like our incoming freshman class,” Guinn said. “It’s probably the best group of freshmen that I have brought in to Whitewater since I have been here.”

The ’Hawks will also look to holdovers from last year’s squad which advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament field.

Novak is a three-time All-WIAC selection after tallying 15 points last year on four goals and seven assists.

Senior Kyle Ricely also returns to the midfield. He played in all 23 matches last year and recorded one assist.

After losing starting goalkeeper Josh Rohde to graduation, understudy Alex Buchmann will take the reins at the No. 1 spot.

“Alex Buchmann’s done really well and has the starting nod for goalkeeping,” Guinn said.

Buchmann will be aided by what Guinn describes as, “the biggest strength of his team,” the defense.

The defense will be led by senior Jordan Wilkins, who played in 23 matches last year and was tied for third on the team with four goals. Junior defender Justin Stanko also returns after scoring three goals and one assist.

Junior Owen Thompson and sophomore Kevin Winter also both return to make the defensive core even stingier.

“Our veteran players have done a really good job in the preseason, being really mature with their leadership,” Guinn said.

On the offensive side, the ’Hawks roll into this season with all new forwards. Sophomore transfer Dylan Hottsmith scored six goals for Millikin University last year and was named College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin Newcomer of the Year.

Guinn described him as a “sensational transfer.”

Senior Jared Denu is back on the team after a multi-year absecence. In 2011, Denu registered two assists in 12 matches.

Denu is also a member of the track and field team and has received four All-American nominations in his time as a Warhawk.

The ’Hawks, who do not have an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament, must rely on a tough strength of schedule and minimize losses to secure its fifth trip in the past seven years to the tournament.

Novak believes his team could reach the NCAA tournament again.

“I think overall, we are going to be just as good or better than last year.”