Volleyball off to fast start

September 16, 2015

Column by Kali Schmieding

The UW-Whitewater volleyball team started off the 2015 season wonderfully winning eight out of nine games.

The ’Hawks season began on Sept. 4 with the Elmhurst Invitational. On the first day of the invitational the ’Hawks beat Fontbonne (Mo.) 25-7, 25-13, 25-23.

Junior outside hitter Lauren Pfeifer led the team with 13 kills. Sophomore middle hitter Courtney Wagner added seven kills and a team-best four blocks. Junior setter Staci Hasler had 17 assists.

Senior captain Jaclyn Krizka led the team with 15 digs. Krizka aslo had seven assists and two aces.

In the second match of the invitational, the ’Hawks dominated Wheaton (Ill.) in four sets. The ’Hawks scored the first point of the first set and never led after that.

Pfeifer led the offense with 15 kills. Senior outside hitter Jessica Sabey also helped out the ’Hawks offense with 14 kills.

Freshman middle hitter Kelley Berk had four blocks.

The team continued play in the Elmhurst Invitational Sept. 5 defeating UMass Boston 25-27, 25-21, 21-25, 28-26, 15-8.

The ’Hawks did not do so well in the first and third sets of the match, but they made up for it in the fourth.

Sophomore right side Sydney Racky posted four kills during the team’s final five points of the set to lead the ’Hawks to the final set.

In the final match of the invitational, the ’Hawks dominated Hendrix (Ark.) 25-15, 25-15, 25-1.

Whitewater held Hendrix to a minus .057 hitting percentage. They forced 23 hitting errors and only allowed 18 kills.

Hasler had five kills, 25 assists and four digs.

After the Elmhurst Invitational, the ’Hawks traveled to Cedar Rapids, Iowa on Sept. 8 to take on Coe.

The ’Hawks remained undefeated beating 23 ranked Coe 27-25, 25-22, 25-19.

After losing the third set against UMass Boston at the Elmhurst Invitational, the ’Hawks hadn’t lost a set since.

Next on the ’Hawks road trip was the Colorado College Invitational in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

Whitewater defeated Mary Hardin-Baylor 25-15, 25-22, 25-22 in the first game of the invitational.

Sabey, Pfeifer and Berk all had 10 kills apiece.  Pfeifer also had eight digs.

Whitewater was defeated for the first time this season by Colorado College, 29-27, 24-26, 25-21, 25-19.

Pfeifer and Sabey had 11 kills each.

On day two of the Colorado College Invitational the ’Hawks defeated both Chapman (Calif.) and Blufton (Ohio).

After the tournament Hasler and freshman defensive specialist Brittany Robinson were selected to the All-Tournament team for their outstand performances.

The ’Hawks will continue the season on Sept. 16 against Elmhurst (Ill.) here in Whitewater.