Basketball tournament will be held to benefit Sister Network charity

By Sidney Birkett

October 14, 2015

As UW-Whitewater and its students head toward the middle of October, they are also heading toward the middle of National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a month senior Kimyata Yisrael said is not advertised enough on campus.

Yisrael said this is what makes Dribble For a Cure, a basketball tournament hosted by Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, such an important event that occurs every year at UW-Whitewater.

“To keep it an annual thing, it keeps it aware on this campus,” said Yisrael, treasurer of the Lambda Alpha chapter of the sorority.

This event, sponsored by Toppers Pizza and Culver’s, raises money for Sisters Network, an organization that aims to help increase awareness to breast cancer in the black community.

The sorority will be tabling for donations on Wednesday, Oct. 14 from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Donations were also collected on Monday, Oct. 11. Additional funds will be collected in a donation box at the basketball tournament.

On Thursday, Oct. 15, the event will wrap up with seven teams playing to claim the title of Dribble For a Cure Champions. This tournament will be from 6:30 to 9 p.m. in the Williams Center Kachel Fieldhouse.

“Breast cancer is something that really affects a lot of people, and getting out the awareness about it is really important,” said Tyler Henderson, president of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. “A lot of us know people that have had breast cancer so it’s close to home for us.”

Henderson believes the benefits of this event can reach everyone, from Sisters Network to people who either are or know someone who is diagnosed with breast cancer to the basketball teams playing in the tournament.

Many activities will be featured at the event along with the tournament, including a free-throw contest and a raffle.

A dance group was set to perform at halftime, but has since cancelled.

Breast cancer bracelets and stickers will also be given out at the event.

The event is open to the public with an entrance fee of $2 with pink clothing and $3 without pink clothing.

Yisrael says students and community members should go to this event because of its importance and the help it can bring to a great cause.

“Whether you know it or not, there may be someone in your life who has breast cancer or who may suffer from,” Yisrael said. “So to just get the awareness out there, it definitely benefits a wide range of people on this campus.”