Org fair show students opportunities

By Nicole Aimone

Students who were hesitant to get involved on campus first semester before settling into the feel of college life have another chance to get involved, Whitewater Student Government (WSG) Student Affairs Director Kane Poad said.

On Tuesday, Feb. 9, WSG hosted  the Spring Involvement Fair from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the University Center Hamilton Room.

The fair is each semester and is held to give students an outlet to find information on Student organizations, as well as get involved around campus.

“Sometimes some students are a little hesitant to join things in the fall because everything is all new,” Poad said. “I think in the spring, they got used to campus so they want to get involved for the second round.”

Another purpose of the fair is to allow new student organizations to have an opportunity to showcase their organization and attract new members.

“It’s kind of an opportunity for these orgs who started throughout the year to promote their org to new students, returning students, transfer students, all types of students,” said Samantha Pick, graduate assistant Career and Leadership Development office. 

The fair is also a good starting point in networking for future professional endeavors for students, because there are many professional building organizations attending.

“You join an organization, you meet a bunch of friends there- advisors and people who put you in a good place,” Poad said.

Along with networking, the fair is helpful to students in finding a place to belong on campus through a student organization. There are many different student organizations, all with different intentions to help students.

“There is at least one organization for every student on campus,” Pick said. “No two  organizations have the same mission or the same purpose; we do that on purpose.”

The fair consists of any organization officially recognized by ConnectUWW, as well as a few different departments such as First Year Experience and the Sustainability Office. For this semester’s fair, there will be about 60 organizations attending.

There is a variety of organizations that are not available for the fair; however there are many options for students to find where they belong by using ConnectUWW, which Pick says “is like the Facebook of organizations.” Students can use the online resource to search any interest area, to find an student organization that fits the student.