Discover a voice amongst the crowd

While college students are far younger than those running for a spot on this year’s presidential bill, that certainly doesn’t undermine their ability to voice their opinions.

Column by Andrew Eppen Multimedia Editor
Column by Andrew Eppen
Multimedia Editor

At the Feb. 11 Democratic Debate, three activist groups – UW-Milwaukee College Republicans, Students Allied for a Greener Earth (SAGE) and Black Lives Matter – occupied the UW-Milwaukee campus, pleading for the students around them and the Democratic Candidates on campus to hear their cause. 

In one instance, I saw Black Lives Matter activists rush into the pressroom, and then proceed to take over the first floor of the student union. Supporters displayed signs that read “Black Lives Matter,” “Immigration Justice,” “Fight for $15,” backed by the beat of drums and chants from a megaphone. A crowd of bewildered UW-M students swarmed the stairs overlooking the first floor, looking on in wonder at the procession unfolding only a few feet in front of them.

With this intense desire among some to proactively and publicly proclaim their cause, shouldn’t all college students be equally involved in sharing their opinions?

Often, it is a simple and painless solution to take the easy way out and keep our thoughts and ideals hidden within the boundaries of our minds. If we don’t absolutely have to talk about what we believe in, why take the risk?

This is the exact reason why we as young people need to become involved with like-minded                  individuals.

By surrounding ourselves with those who have the same morals, life goals or ideas as us, we can learn to express ourselves within our careers, relationships and day-to-day interactions.

These organizations do not have to be politically based whatsoever. If you aspire to be healthier, join a sports team. If you wish to help change the environment around you, join an earth-friendly organization.

Ultimately, college isn’t about getting in and out as fast as possible within four years or less. Take a step back, and take notice of the opportunities for extracurricular immersion available at UW-Whitewater.

Involving yourself with these like-minded organizations will not only help you to live a more pleasing life, it will give you a sense of purpose amongst your scholastic studies.

Perhaps being involved in a group will persuade you to vocalize your cause, as so many groups did on debate night at UW-M. Or, perhaps you will decide to focus on internally building up each member of the group through organization events.

Whatever you do, never lose the morals, goals and ideas that define you. We only have one shot at this thing called “life,” so don’t waste it hiding behind the invisible wall of doubt.